recommendation

^ I’m just about finished with my response. Thanks though adehbone. Good lookin’ out …

adehbone Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > Pretty sure, JOE2010 missed the party where God was handing out brains. I fixed your post.

iheartiheartmath Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > adehbone Wrote: > -------------------------------------------------- > ----- > > Pretty sure, JOE2010 missed the party where God > was handing out brains. > > I fixed your post. Is that where you got your poor excuse of an imaginary brain donkey? Nice to know.

adehbone Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > Pretty sure, JOE2010 missed the post where daviskr > explained that she worked with this dude for 3+ > years and not just as an intern. Of course I missed that one but still think it is improper to issue a negative reference to any one without substantive reasons. The ones stated here are frivolous. I work as a manager and one of the most satisfying things about leadership is inspiring your team members discover their voices. Helping people rekindle their inner spirit. Some one may have made a mistake in the past and learnt from it, and moved on with their life.

JOE2010 Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > This is sheer ego trip. > > How much did you know when you “worked as intern” > in college to make a substantive reference about > the role or fit of this person with his future > employer? And that you were not “his fan” (by the > way, is it sexual or otherwise? or tattoos?)makes > you think you are going to screw up his destiny? > They worked hard to get a job interview in this > market and you think it’s fun to spoil that > chance? > > I disagree with faking positive references in the > same way I disagree with incompetent references > like this one you are intending to do to satisfy > your fantasies. > > My advice would be if you have to say anything, it > better be positive, anything else is sentimental > tosh. I’m a bit perplexed at your response above. First off, it’s obvious you did not read all of my posts and I apologize for not being clearer. I’ll paste one below for your convenience. > daviskr Wrote: > -------------------------------------------------- > ----- >Failed to mention this company hired me after graduation >and I worked with this person 3+ years until they quit. >Our regional offices are very small (3 to 6 employees), >so I got to know him well professionally and personally. >Overall sentiment was “good riddance” when they left. I would think ~3.5 years would be consistent for a substantive amount of time to get to know someone professionally and personally. I’ll also disregard your remarks about satisfying some fantasy, anything tattoo related and this being sexual. Second, I’m not quite sure what I did to previously offend you, but did you stop to think I might have a good reason for not wanting to give this guy a positive reference. I didn’t feel the need to go on and on with information not pertinent to the basic original question. All I wanted was some feedback and suggestions on how to politely and professionally discuss or decline such conversation. But since you think my argument is so baseless and my reasoning is incompetent, I’ll be more than happy to indulge you with a few of my choice memories: *I’ll be using “Bob” as the applicant’s name for ease. ---------------------- - While on my way to work one Monday morning, I got stuck in some unusually horrific traffic. The radio stated there was a chemical leak at a nearby airport. For Joe2010’s reference if needed: http://cincinnati.bizjournals.com/cincinnati/stories/2005/08/29/daily3.html I called Bob to tell I would be late. After 2-3 hours of bumper to bumper traffic, I finally got to the office. The next day I received a call from my supervisor. As it turns out, Bob had called HR to complain about the previous day’s tardiness and the manner in which I had spoken to him when I called. I always thought HR complaints were reserved for things like sexual harassment, but I guess I was wrong. Being late and calling to inform your coworker is by far one of the worst things you can do … - We have external wholesalers in our territory which we partner with for our platform. One of these said wholesalers had prepared some paperwork for a prospect and presented it to a broker. By the time the account was entered into our system, I noticed the contract was filled out wrong. The corrections delayed trading the account for 1 business day. This was unacceptable to Bob. He proceeded to call the wholesaler and ream him out for his stupidity. I had to get up and close the door to his office because of how loud he was screaming and the client I had on the phone could practically hear every curse word and expletive being used. - I needed to bring some heavy boxes upstairs for work. I asked Bob if he could be a gentleman and help me carry them. His response, “Honestly, I’d rather not”. Then he walked back into his office and closed the door. A few brokers standing in the cube next to mine stared in disbelief. - In attendance at a client review was Bob, a consultant for the client and their financial advisor. After discussing account performance, holdings, etc., the conversation turned to our style benchmarks. Apparently, there was some heated discussion between Bob and the consultant regarding which benchmarks should be used. The argument was so severe the financial advisor has no choice but to terminate our management in order to keep the account with his team. ---------------- If you would like more examples, please let me know. But I do believe the above is sufficient enough to prove my reason for not being able to provide any positive feedback. I do not consider myself to be a spiteful person. I’ve even been more than pleasant to Bob on the occasions we’ve run into one another since working at the same place. I do, however, feel his previous actions have shown him to be the kind of person you would not want working in your organization. He’s rude, condescending, malicious and just out for himself. Hope this sums it up for you Joe2010 … Thanks to everyone else who posted something helpful or humorous :wink: I’ve decided to go with my honest opinion in a censored/professional manner; something like “IMHO, Bob failed to exceed my expectations personally and professionally. I would suggest you speak to a few more people before making a decision.” needhelp – Sorry if you decided not to like me … lol

JOE2010 Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > adehbone Wrote: > -------------------------------------------------- > ----- > > Pretty sure, JOE2010 missed the post where > daviskr > > explained that she worked with this dude for 3+ > > years and not just as an intern. > > > Of course I missed that one but still think it is > improper to issue a negative reference to any one > without substantive reasons. The ones stated here > are frivolous. > > I work as a manager and one of the most satisfying > things about leadership is inspiring your team > members discover their voices. Helping people > rekindle their inner spirit. Some one may have > made a mistake in the past and learnt from it, and > moved on with their life. And the winner for the most-obviously-have-no-experience-working-in-an-office post goes to…

daviskr–no need to justify your reasoning to JOE2010, he clearly has no clue what he’s talking about as he’s so eloquently demonstrated time and time again. I would probably allude to a few of those stories when talking to your contact, just make sure a) it’s not in writing, b) it’s not over a recorded phone line and c) he knows that the reference is anonymous.

daviskr Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > JOE2010 Wrote: > -------------------------------------------------- > ----- > > This is sheer ego trip. > > > > How much did you know when you “worked as > intern” > > in college to make a substantive reference > about > > the role or fit of this person with his future > > employer? And that you were not “his fan” (by > the > > way, is it sexual or otherwise? or > tattoos?)makes > > you think you are going to screw up his > destiny? > > They worked hard to get a job interview in this > > market and you think it’s fun to spoil that > > chance? > > > > I disagree with faking positive references in > the > > same way I disagree with incompetent references > > like this one you are intending to do to > satisfy > > your fantasies. > > > > My advice would be if you have to say anything, > it > > better be positive, anything else is > sentimental > > tosh. > > > I’m a bit perplexed at your response above. First > off, it’s obvious you did not read all of my posts > and I apologize for not being clearer. I’ll paste > one below for your convenience. > > > daviskr Wrote: > > > -------------------------------------------------- > > > ----- > >Failed to mention this company hired me after > graduation > >and I worked with this person 3+ years until they > quit. > >Our regional offices are very small (3 to 6 > employees), > >so I got to know him well professionally and > personally. > >Overall sentiment was “good riddance” when they > left. > > I would think ~3.5 years would be consistent for a > substantive amount of time to get to know someone > professionally and personally. I’ll also > disregard your remarks about satisfying some > fantasy, anything tattoo related and this being > sexual. > > Second, I’m not quite sure what I did to > previously offend you, but did you stop to think I > might have a good reason for not wanting to give > this guy a positive reference. I didn’t feel the > need to go on and on with information not > pertinent to the basic original question. All I > wanted was some feedback and suggestions on how to > politely and professionally discuss or decline > such conversation. But since you think my > argument is so baseless and my reasoning is > incompetent, I’ll be more than happy to indulge > you with a few of my choice memories: > > *I’ll be using “Bob” as the applicant’s name for > ease. > > ---------------------- > > - While on my way to work one Monday morning, I > got stuck in some unusually horrific traffic. The > radio stated there was a chemical leak at a nearby > airport. For Joe2010’s reference if needed: > > http://cincinnati.bizjournals.com/cincinnati/stor > ies/2005/08/29/daily3.html > > I called Bob to tell I would be late. After 2-3 > hours of bumper to bumper traffic, I finally got > to the office. The next day I received a call > from my supervisor. As it turns out, Bob had > called HR to complain about the previous day’s > tardiness and the manner in which I had spoken to > him when I called. I always thought HR complaints > were reserved for things like sexual harassment, > but I guess I was wrong. Being late and calling > to inform your coworker is by far one of the worst > things you can do … > > - We have external wholesalers in our territory > which we partner with for our platform. One of > these said wholesalers had prepared some paperwork > for a prospect and presented it to a broker. By > the time the account was entered into our system, > I noticed the contract was filled out wrong. The > corrections delayed trading the account for 1 > business day. This was unacceptable to Bob. He > proceeded to call the wholesaler and ream him out > for his stupidity. I had to get up and close the > door to his office because of how loud he was > screaming and the client I had on the phone could > practically hear every curse word and expletive > being used. > > - I needed to bring some heavy boxes upstairs for > work. I asked Bob if he could be a gentleman and > help me carry them. His response, “Honestly, I’d > rather not”. Then he walked back into his office > and closed the door. A few brokers standing in > the cube next to mine stared in disbelief. > > - In attendance at a client review was Bob, a > consultant for the client and their financial > advisor. After discussing account performance, > holdings, etc., the conversation turned to our > style benchmarks. Apparently, there was some > heated discussion between Bob and the consultant > regarding which benchmarks should be used. The > argument was so severe the financial advisor has > no choice but to terminate our management in order > to keep the account with his team. > > ---------------- > > If you would like more examples, please let me > know. But I do believe the above is sufficient > enough to prove my reason for not being able to > provide any positive feedback. I do not consider > myself to be a spiteful person. I’ve even been > more than pleasant to Bob on the occasions we’ve > run into one another since working at the same > place. I do, however, feel his previous actions > have shown him to be the kind of person you would > not want working in your organization. He’s rude, > condescending, malicious and just out for himself. > > > Hope this sums it up for you Joe2010 … > > > Thanks to everyone else who posted something > helpful or humorous :wink: > > I’ve decided to go with my honest opinion in a > censored/professional manner; something like > “IMHO, Bob failed to exceed my expectations > personally and professionally. I would suggest > you speak to a few more people before making a > decision.” > > needhelp – Sorry if you decided not to like me … > lol One, my first post was based on the fact that your interaction with this dude was when you were an intern, which apparently is wrong. May be if I read this info my reaction would have been better, and many others too. I do not think it is proper to give a positive reference where it is not due, as that would be dishonesty. My apologies for being too harsh. Sorry.

iheartiheartmath Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > JOE2010 Wrote: > -------------------------------------------------- > ----- > > adehbone Wrote: > > > -------------------------------------------------- > > > ----- > > > Pretty sure, JOE2010 missed the post where > > daviskr > > > explained that she worked with this dude for > 3+ > > > years and not just as an intern. > > > > > > Of course I missed that one but still think it > is > > improper to issue a negative reference to any > one > > without substantive reasons. The ones stated > here > > are frivolous. > > > > I work as a manager and one of the most > satisfying > > things about leadership is inspiring your team > > members discover their voices. Helping people > > rekindle their inner spirit. Some one may have > > made a mistake in the past and learnt from it, > and > > moved on with their life. > > And the winner for the > most-obviously-have-no-experience-working-in-an-of > fice post goes to… I hate to admit, but this makes me laugh. As some one said, Hi 5 donkey!

Talking out of your @ss without getting the facts straight, that’s never happened before…

JOE2010 Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > One, my first post was based on the fact that your > interaction with this dude was when you were an > intern, which apparently is wrong. > > May be if I read this info my reaction would have > been better, and many others too. I do not think > it is proper to give a positive reference where it > is not due, as that would be dishonesty. > > My apologies for being too harsh. Sorry. I’ll only accept if you apologize to i<3i<3math as well … :wink: LOL

daviskr Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > JOE2010 Wrote: > -------------------------------------------------- > ----- > > One, my first post was based on the fact that > your > > interaction with this dude was when you were an > > intern, which apparently is wrong. > > > > May be if I read this info my reaction would > have > > been better, and many others too. I do not > think > > it is proper to give a positive reference where > it > > is not due, as that would be dishonesty. > > > > My apologies for being too harsh. Sorry. > > > I’ll only accept if you apologize to i<3i<3math as > well … :wink: LOL Only if he admits he is a donkey.

i am amused by the insult: donkey

^lol

Nope im with JOE on this one. Looked like daviskr backtracked midway through the thread to include the 3.5 year thing when she saw some resistance to her ideas. People do that. Find it hard to believe she simply forgot to mention it first time around.

I think Bob = JOE2010, hence his resistance towards a negative recommendation for this fellow.

Hello Mister Walrus Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > I think Bob = JOE2010, hence his resistance > towards a negative recommendation for this fellow. Crazy! What are the odds? JTLD, I think you just need to pack it in and go home after the “donkey” witticisms. I mean, how do you top that?

daviskr, you’re doing the right thing. Your friend obviously trusts your opinion and would not appreciate it if they hired him and found out later that you left out the part about him being a dbag.

Hello Mister Walrus Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > I think Bob = JOE2010, hence his resistance > towards a negative recommendation for this fellow. Ha ha … nice try. For obvious reasons I can not be Bob. Per se I was not against negative recommendation - but substantiation of the basis of any, whether positive or negative. My initial reading of this was that it was sort of a ruse.

JOE2010 Wrote: My initial reading of this > was that it was sort of a ruse. And that was my final reading of this.