Recommended IB Reading

New to the forum, been browsing for a while but finally decided to join up. I searched through the forums for a “recommended reading” section and was a little surprised not to find a thread. I’m guessing that might be because everyone is a little busy with curriculum books, notes, or flash cards! But I know there are a bunch of posters who aren’t currently studying, so… I’m looking for some interesting books to read on the side that relate to IB. I’ve read Liar’s Poker, The Big Short, and Lords of Finance, which are three I would recommend for anyone who hasn’t read them. The first two are books I read when I first started getting interested in IB in college, the last one I just read recently. So how about it, any recommended reading for an aspiring IB professional?

I’d certainly recommend Monkey Business by John Rolfe and Peter Troob. CITYBOY by Geraint Anderson is good too!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ROlDmux7Tk4

Wow, hilarious video. I actually just did Excel valuation/modeling training, so the part about the mouse at the end really hit close to home!

cityboy Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > I’d certainly recommend Monkey Business by John > Rolfe and Peter Troob. +1000

bpdulog Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > cityboy Wrote: > -------------------------------------------------- > ----- > > I’d certainly recommend Monkey Business by John > > Rolfe and Peter Troob. > > +1000 +10,000

Additionally, Barbarians at the Gate and The Accidental Investment Banker are pretty solid reads as well.

Congrats on joining too. One thing, if you’re actually considering the CFA , it may not be a great fit for IB, typically CFA is more useful on ER and the investment side of the business. Just thought I’d throw that out there.

^ very true

Big Deal (by Wasserstein) = Some insight into deals. Barbarians at the Gate = Must Read. Bank (by Bledin) , M&A (Dana Vachon) = Entertaining reads, but much like Monkey Business. Early IB career stories. Accidental Investment Banker = Good view of someone transitioning into IB mid-career. Can email author too if you look up on Columbia’s website. HBR on M&A = Kind of dated, but has some good points. M&A: Practical Guide to Doing the Deal (Hooke) = Dated too, but is a good perspective. Valuation (by McKinsey) = Good book for valuation framework. I liked Den of Thieves and Predator’s Ball as well (not sure if they are directly IB themed though).

I forgot to mention Working the Street by Erik Banks. A very practical guide that will easily pay for itself.

Thanks for the recommendations, guys! @Black_Swan I just got done with my undergrad in Finance/MIS and am currently doing some corporate finance work. I’m not sure I’ve completely decided what area of the business I want to get in, I just know I want to learn as much as possible right now. It seems like the CFA is a solid step in the right direction while I get work experience (hopefully in other areas as well as my current role) and decide if/when/where I want to do my MBA. Thanks for your words of advice, I appreciate it.

No Liars Poker? Wow. I’d read “I Hope They Serve Beer in Hell” oddly enough you’ll find that you run into these alpha male types in IB’s and it will teach you how to relate.

Liar’s Poker was in the OP, of course.

currently i am going through the FT annual best business books …just finished Gillian Tetts fools gold http://www.ft.com/intl/indepth/business-book-award-2011

roberto Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > Liar’s Poker was in the OP, of course. TL;DR

Not related to IB but When Genius Failed was a fascinating read. Also enjoyed the End of Wall Street by Lowenstein. More of a chronological account of how sh*t went down during the crisis.

kmm1486 Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > Not related to IB but When Genius Failed was a > fascinating read. > GREAT BOOK! Also check out Inside the House of Money. and TBTF should be required reading on Wall Street.

pimpineasy Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > currently i am going through the FT annual best > business books …just finished Gillian > Tetts fools gold > > > http://www.ft.com/intl/indepth/business-book-award > -2011 Just finished more money than god and thoroughly enjoyed it. Check it out

Just read “Diary of a Very Bad Year” Good, super easy read. A little too dumbed down for my liking but a good easy read on the plane. Knocked it out in about 12 hours.