Red Alert - What to Do with 7 weeks to go???

Looking for some frank feedback. I read CFA materials consecutively SS 1 through 14. No practice questions though (I did read the examples in the core text but not the EOC questions). Attended the 3 day Schweser seminar last week and realized this exam is about demonstrating the knowledge through actual problems. So I’m cutting my losses by using Book 5 of Schweser for remaining SSs except for GIPS where I will read the CFA Institute materials. What would you do in my boat? Re-read the more condensed Schweser and word out the concept checkers and problems? Attempt to work out the CFA problems? Or just use my 3 day seminar materials? In hindsight, while the readings have been informative I have practically zero retention of formulas and just “familiarity” with the major concepts (after all I did spend time reading the hundreds of pages). Can I still pass this thing??? Any suggestions are appreciated!

at this point i am switching from full review to targeting studying. I take the CFAI related exams as the primary and when I reach a question or concept I get wrong, I study that concept and the chapters around it from BOTH CFAI text and Schweser. EOC questions galore from the CFAI text books too. They are the primary source.

MiredAtLevelIII Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > In hindsight, while the readings have been > informative I have practically zero retention of > formulas and just “familiarity” with the major > concepts (after all I did spend time reading the > hundreds of pages). Can I still pass this > thing??? > > Any suggestions are appreciated! “familiarity” is no good for level 3. This exam requires very specific knowledge. Know it inside out or don’t know it at all.

Questions the rest of the way. For any CFAI materials you haven’t hit yet review just the examples in the chapters then hit the EOCs. Do all of the Schweser questions. Stop reading, start doing. That would be my advice.

I’m spending the rest of the weekend getting through the last two sections of stalla that I haven’t finished yet (Alternative Inv and Perf Eval). Then I’m hitting the CFAI’s examples and the EOC’s for the next 3 to 4 weeks. 3 to 4 weeks before the exam I will drill practice exams like there is no tomorrow. 3 from current stalla, 6 from previous schwesers, current and past samples exams from CFAI, previous years’ CFA morning sessions, and the CFAI mock exam.

big ML Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > Questions the rest of the way. For any CFAI > materials you haven’t hit yet review just the > examples in the chapters then hit the EOCs. Do > all of the Schweser questions. Stop reading, > start doing. That would be my advice . One problem with this approach is that questions do not cover every single topic in the readings, so you may miss some.

practice. … Failed last year by more reading and less practice. Level 3 is very deceptive - looks more of theory and all the calculations appear very simple. but when you try working a problem (average and above level problems) without going through the solution, you will know where you stand . morning session decides your odds of passing the exam. Lesson learned from past mistake - even though you know the answer for IPS problems, try writing it down on paper.

With this little time left it probably isn’t realistic to expect to cover everything. Going over the CFAI examples, EOCs and Schweser or Stalla probably gives you the best shot at passing. That being said, I have no idea what kind of time constraints this person has. Just my best guess at an winning approach.

lowonmemory Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > > Lesson learned from past mistake - even though you > know the answer for IPS problems, try writing it > down on paper. +1

Good points from everyone in this thread…just remember you still have plenty of time. Think how far you’ve come to this point–now, 7 wks to go! Don’t Panic, Stay Calm and confidently stay w/ your gameplan!