References

If you’re applying for a new job while currently employed, is it ok to ask your current boss to be a reference? I believe some companies have rules where managers can’t give out references for employees. How would you get references in such cases?

For internal position, yes. For external position, no.

Don’t ask. At best, your boss will be a reference for you once you leave. Of course this depends on the type of relationship you have with your boss. I’ve had bosses that were like friends and I could easily ask for a reference regardless of policy. What’s the deal with company policies restricting references? I had a great relationship with my one of my bosses but unfortunately he was a wimp and followed every rule to the tee. Hence, I couldn’t get a reference from him but other managers gave me one. I don’t really understand the restriction on this if you leave the company.

Slash Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > What’s the deal with company policies restricting > references? I had a great relationship with my one > of my bosses but unfortunately he was a wimp and > followed every rule to the tee. Hence, I couldn’t > get a reference from him but other managers gave > me one. I don’t really understand the restriction > on this if you leave the company. Its a legal thing. My firm does not allow us provide references. All requests for references must be sent to our HR department and they will only confirm dates of employment. Rationale is that if the person doesn’t get the job, they can’t sue you or the company for giving a bad reference. Common sense would suggest that a person would only list someone as a reference that they have pre-screened, but as we all see everyday, common sense is a rare commodity. I’ve received a few reference checks calls for people that put me as a reference without discussing with me first and I was glad I could punt to HR in at least one instance.

So what’s the best way to get references for the new job if you can’t use your current manager?

biz9r5 Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > So what’s the best way to get references for the > new job if you can’t use your current manager? Kindly ask on the General Discussion portion of AF. ~30% of the replies should be a positive reference. IHIHM would be a TKO Reco/Ref.

biz9r5 Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > So what’s the best way to get references for the > new job if you can’t use your current manager? “Hey boss, how’s the weather? How are the kids? Listen, the economy is really bad right now and John from accounting just got axed. I’m trying to think ahead here so should I become a casualty in this economic turmoil, I’d like to secure a reference from you.” Honestly, there is no good way to get a reference from your current manager. The best thing you can do is get a reference from a trustworthy peer on your team. I’m 100% sure that a recruiter would understand that you cannot ask for a reference from a CURRENT manager.

References don’t have to be from current bosses – potential employers will understand this; just make clear current employer does not know you’re looking. You can say (if you know new job is one you really want and you think current boss would give you a good reference) that they can call your boss once they make you an offer (which would be contingent on checking references). That way you are not jeopardized until and unless the new job is pretty certain on both your and their parts. Other reference possibilities in the meantime: former boss at different company or anyone who knows your work and work habits (e.g., supportive trustworthy co-workers, external parties whom you worked closely with on a deal or project, etc.).