Referencing the CFA Designation

Can anyone explain to me the rules regarding referencing the CFA Designation? This is my current understanding: 1) On your business card you can put Joe, CFA, but the CFA part cannot be underlined, bolded or be bigger than your name 2) You cannot use CFA as a noun (such as Joe is a CFA). 3) The term Chartered Financial Analyst is wrong (so it is wrong to say Joe is a Chartered Financial Analyst). You should say Joe is a CFA Charterholder. 4) Terms like pre-CFA, CFA II are incorrect. Are these correct? Anything I missed. Thanks.

1. Joe Smith, CFA 2)Correct 3)Correct 4)Corrct

you cannot imply that holding the CFA charter gives you the ability to do your job better than a non CFA charterholder. you cannot imply that passing all three levels on the first try makes you a better person than those who took exams over but still passed in the end.

You can use CFA Designation only if you are an active member, paying dues, etc…

i believ eyou can say Joe Smith, Chartered Financial Analyst

Can you say Joe Smith, Chartered Financial Analyst? This is one I’m not clear on, I always thought the correct term was CFA charterholder. Anyone have a definitive answer?

maybe you are right, i dont remember :slight_smile:

^ you can check the code but I believe that is correct.

CFAIIICFAIII Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > Can you say Joe Smith, Chartered Financial > Analyst? This is one I’m not clear on, I always > thought the correct term was CFA charterholder. > > Anyone have a definitive answer? Yes. Definite. 100%

I believe you can say “Joe Smith, Chartered Financial Analyst”. It is pretty much the same as saying “Joe Smith, CFA”

yes what you can NOT say is “a chartered financial analyst”

if this is the make or break question on the exam i will cry!! we can be so close and they tease us with this…

Ok: So its ok to have the following on your business card: 1) Joe Smith, CFA 2) Joe Smith, Chartered Financial Analyst OR say to someone: Joe Smith is a CFA charterholder But you can’t say on your business card: Joe Smith, a Chartered Financial Analyst OR say to some: “Joe smith is a Chartered Financial Analyst”, or Joe Smith is a CFA Make sense to me. What’s great is that after all of this analysis this probably won’t even show up on the real exam. :frowning:

You are right, it wont, but i need to know how to order my cards… carry on

If one is not enrolled to sit for the next CFA exam , one cannot state that they are a candidate. This came up in one of the CFAI mock exams.

you can be called a candidate if you are awaiting results however.