Relativism- Finance and Life

As many of us know in the investment world, the ability to look at things on a comparable, or relative basis, is of high importance when performing valuations or deriving an opinion on a company or whatever. But we also apply this same concept to our personal lives everyday- sometimes consciously aware and and sometimes not- We strive for things, and then those lucky enough to achieve or obtain what we strive for want yet more. This would seem like the natural way of things since it’s so pervasive. But I wonder if while this phenomenon only motivates us to strive for more (not necessarily a bad thing), it can also be an impedement to true and lasting happiness. Of course there are many other factors that contribute to our well being. But if we are so caught up in trying to achieve the next greatest thing based on regularly creating new “benchmarks” can we truly enjoy what we have? In the Investment world relativism may have limits, but in the greater world maybe not. just a thought-

Very interesting thought - I find myself in the same predicament. I’m always looking towards what is “next” and what to do to get there, which impedes my ability to truly enjoy the present. Some say that it doesn’t matter where you wind up, it’s the journey that matters. I have to learn to appreciate and apply this way of thinking…otherwise I risk not enjoying life to its fullest.

i agree with enjoying the moment. this is one reason why i haven’t jumped out the window of my Discount brokerage yet.

I think many people in this industry live for tomorrow (which I do). I think that’s the nature of our innate personalities, and I think this personality is attracted to finance. I know a lot of people–particularly some of my closest friends–who live for the moment and don’t care one iota about tomorrow.

FrankArabia Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > i agree with enjoying the moment. this is one > reason why i haven’t jumped out the window of my > Discount brokerage yet. I don’t get it, are you staying because its easier to find time to finish all your exams?? oh, can you give me some advice on the black book? I have a thread about it down below.

but there is a difference between living for tomorrow and planning for tomorrow. i often think about next year, five years etc. but not necessarily at the expense of today. i’ve got two kids (2yrs and 2 mos), and if i look down the road too much, i’ll miss some really cool things as they grow up.

So the answer is Big ten MBA then, correct? Willy

DirtyZ Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > Very interesting thought - I find myself in the > same predicament. I’m always looking towards what > is “next” and what to do to get there, which > impedes my ability to truly enjoy the present. > Some say that it doesn’t matter where you wind up, > it’s the journey that matters. I have to learn to > appreciate and apply this way of > thinking…otherwise I risk not enjoying life to > its fullest. i think thats a common problem for alot of us because certain personality types self select into this profession. the way i think often bothers me because its so at odds with what alot of my friends are like, but it seems that even at a very early age ive been programmed to be this way. Like an earlier poster has said I just hope that I dont miss out on life, while at the same time I have this need to always be working towards some future goal.

Wow…SeanC couldn’t agree more with that post. I always find myself feeling that exact same way. Funny thing is I don’t think I could change it even if I wanted to. (or maybe I just don’t want to).

Great post and I think the answer is “no.” Those that succeed in the investment industry definitely are fast-track, type-A personality, career oriented people and you’re right, I don’t think it’s possible for us to truly sit back and enjoy the moment. We get satisfaction out of moving forward to that next opportunity…not sitting still. Is this a bad thing? I don’t know, I guess it’s up to the observer. In the words of Bud Fox, “when is it going to be enough Gordon?”

TPaine, I think the type-A personalities push human progress and the others enjoy life. Which is better? As you say, it’s up to the observer.

the hunt is more fun - I hate to lose.

That’s why there is the old saying when asked how much money is enough, “A dollar more than I have” Its unfortunate but for many people, even wealthy, their money will never be enough - they will always be left wanting more.

I would like to throw a curve ball at this topic. How do many of you view money and happiness? Being a recent college grad, I have always thought that more money would equal more happiness for a variety of reasons (lifestyle choices, convienience, less financial stress, etc). Does more money equal more happiness? Please disregard the cliche money can’t buy happiness when replying.

how about the cliché No but it sure helps. Even been to central or south america? They are all poor but happy and always smiling talking positive about the weather and the fresh fruit they hand pick them self and have for breakfast every day. They have no concern about making more money other than to keep the lifestyle they currently have. Meanwhile people in North america are stress and production driven to ‘‘make more’’ to enhance their lifestyles but are eternal unsatisfieds because when you make more what do you want? to make more of course.

Well money will bring you happiness only up to a certain point. After that, it will have diminishing return. :wink:

I think it is important to find out what makes you happy. And if you find that you are not happy doing your thing, then you need to have the guts to do what makes you happy. So if pursuing more and more really makes you happy then by no means go for it. But if suddenly if you realize that doing that won’t bring you happiness, then you need to have the guts to try something else.

It isn’t what you have, or who you are, or where you are, or what you are doing that makes you happy or unhappy. It is what you think about. -dale carnegie

I wonder if I would have been happier in another profession that didn’t offer the possibilities for such huge money. I’m always comparing my salary/net worth to others in this industry around my age. Every time I read an article about a 20-something making 7 figures at some hedge fund it just gets me fired up (what am I doing wrong here?!). I don’t know. Maybe life would be simpler as an architect (or whatever) knowing that unless I own a firm, there is pretty much a ceiling to what I can earn. Then, I wouldn’t have such anxiety about my counterparts making 8973457X what I’m making. Ultimately, I know I’m in the right line of work. I can’t imagine doing anything else. I just want to get to that next level yesterday.

Am I the only person in finance for numerous reasons that exceed money? Money is probably 5th on my list of reasons why I work in this industry.