Reselling Schweser materials and hit with fine?

Is AF THAT big that instead of just taking care of this by respondinding to SSF’s email (either directly or through the law firm) Dr DVE had to post here to avoid bad publicity?

Tend to agree with Former Trader and I’m very interested to see how this plays out.

Lawyer who sent me the C&D letter called and e-mailed me today. Asked me to confirm that it me who had been posting here, I said it was me, indeed. She said that her client had asked her to reach out to me and explain that I was good to sell the books. The confusion appears to have been theirs. The C&D order is dropped. I am free to sell. Well done, Kaplan! Thanks to Dr. Doug for a polite and speedy response. Way to make the most of a frustrating situation. Thanks as well to Chad. Thanks especially to fellow AF goons who shared my frustration, despite having nothing at stake.

supersadface Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > Lawyer who sent me the C&D letter called and > e-mailed me today. Asked me to confirm that it me > who had been posting here, I said it was me, > indeed. She said that her client had asked her to > reach out to me and explain that I was good to > sell the books. The confusion appears to have > been theirs. The C&D order is dropped. I am free > to sell. > > Well done, Kaplan! Thanks to Dr. Doug for a > polite and speedy response. Way to make the most > of a frustrating situation. Thanks as well to > Chad. Thanks especially to fellow AF goons who > shared my frustration, despite having nothing at > stake. DID WE JUST TAKE DOWN THE MAN???

Dr. Doug Van Eaton CFA Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > I’m sorry to hear you have had these troubles. > While we are quite active in pursuing those who > willfully violate our copyrights for gain, it is > not, and has never been our policy or intention to > try to prevent the legal resale of our study > products by individual candidates who have > purchased our materials. We have reached out to > the firm performing copyright protection services > for us and asked them to contact you directly to > resolve this. While we hope that no legal seller > runs into problems in this regard, it is always > appropriate to contact us directly in such > instances. It is, in fact, most often our honest > and valued customers who alert us to the > activities of those few who seem to have no regard > for our rights regarding our study materials. > > Sincerely, > > Dr. Doug Van Eaton CFA > Head of CFA Education > Kaplan/Schweser You’re a Dr. in what ?

well ok, I’m inclined to believe it was the real mccoy now. congrats! we won this round against the evil corporates! whohoo!

Dr. Doug Van Eaton CFA Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > I’m sorry to hear you have had these troubles. > While we are quite active in pursuing those who > willfully violate our copyrights for gain, it is > not, and has never been our policy or intention to > try to prevent the legal resale of our study > products by individual candidates who have > purchased our materials. We have reached out to > the firm performing copyright protection services > for us and asked them to contact you directly to > resolve this. While we hope that no legal seller > runs into problems in this regard, it is always > appropriate to contact us directly in such > instances. It is, in fact, most often our honest > and valued customers who alert us to the > activities of those few who seem to have no regard > for our rights regarding our study materials. > > Sincerely, > > Dr. Doug Van Eaton CFA > Head of CFA Education > Kaplan/Schweser Exactly, your lawyers didn’t get the memo then eh? I told you guys this was BS, there is no way you are violating ANY laws here. This is a clear example of Kaplan trying to play the percentages and add a little more revenue to this business segment. I wonder how many smucks simply pay the fine and go run home to mom. And now we see the damage control from some corporate suit. What a joke, won’t you guys ever learn?

I say fair play to the Dr & Schweser. And fair do’s to SSF. Win-win

mo34 Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > Dr. Doug Van Eaton CFA Wrote: > -------------------------------------------------- > ----- > > I’m sorry to hear you have had these troubles. > > While we are quite active in pursuing those who > > willfully violate our copyrights for gain, it > is > > not, and has never been our policy or intention > to > > try to prevent the legal resale of our study > > products by individual candidates who have > > purchased our materials. We have reached out > to > > the firm performing copyright protection > services > > for us and asked them to contact you directly > to > > resolve this. While we hope that no legal > seller > > runs into problems in this regard, it is always > > appropriate to contact us directly in such > > instances. It is, in fact, most often our > honest > > and valued customers who alert us to the > > activities of those few who seem to have no > regard > > for our rights regarding our study materials. > > > > Sincerely, > > > > Dr. Doug Van Eaton CFA > > Head of CFA Education > > Kaplan/Schweser > > > You’re a Dr. in what ? If I remember correctly Dr. Van E’s Phd is in Finance but I think he has an advanced degree in Econ as well. I bet there’s a bio on Schweser’s website.

knowledge is power!

equity_analyst Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- (snipped)> > I wonder how many smucks simply pay the fine and > go run home to mom. the word is shmuck, not smuck

I think you owe us anti-Schweser petitioners a thank you. I believe that thread is what led Kaplan to drop the C&D order not your stupid QQ thread I want my thank you in crisps unmarked 20s.

supersadface Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > Thanks especially to fellow AF goons who > shared my frustration, despite having nothing at > stake. ZeroBonus, I believe this is the best you’re gonna get.

equity_analyst Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > Dr. Doug Van Eaton CFA Wrote: > -------------------------------------------------- > ----- > > I’m sorry to hear you have had these troubles. > > While we are quite active in pursuing those who > > willfully violate our copyrights for gain, it > is > > not, and has never been our policy or intention > to > > try to prevent the legal resale of our study > > products by individual candidates who have > > purchased our materials. We have reached out > to > > the firm performing copyright protection > services > > for us and asked them to contact you directly > to > > resolve this. While we hope that no legal > seller > > runs into problems in this regard, it is always > > appropriate to contact us directly in such > > instances. It is, in fact, most often our > honest > > and valued customers who alert us to the > > activities of those few who seem to have no > regard > > for our rights regarding our study materials. > > > > Sincerely, > > > > Dr. Doug Van Eaton CFA > > Head of CFA Education > > Kaplan/Schweser > > > Exactly, your lawyers didn’t get the memo then > eh? > > I told you guys this was BS, there is no way you > are violating ANY laws here. > > This is a clear example of Kaplan trying to play > the percentages and add a little more revenue to > this business segment. > > I wonder how many smucks simply pay the fine and > go run home to mom. > > And now we see the damage control from some > corporate suit. > > What a joke, won’t you guys ever learn? I believe this is an example of a type 1 error.

Super I Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > equity_analyst Wrote: > -------------------------------------------------- > ----- > (snipped)> > > I wonder how many smucks simply pay the fine > and > > go run home to mom. > > > the word is shmuck, not smuck Actually it is schmuck, and thanks for attempting to proofread my post! FAIL!! LMFAO!!!

Dude, I was focusing on the phonetics, not the spelling. I actually had a boss once who pronounced the word “smuck” and I had to take him aside and correct him

Super I Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > Dude, I was focusing on the phonetics, not the > spelling. I actually had a boss once who > pronounced the word “smuck” and I had to take him > aside and correct him You’re digging a deeper hole for yourself. Claim it was a typo and move on.

see what had happened was uhm u see there are known knowns and known unknowns …

wow, very cool to see this work out. AF with the clout. Just remember… with great power… comes great opportunities to fuck with people…

Ok, I think Kaplan / Schweser deserve a lot of credit here. That was a great response and they didn’t have to go out of their way to do that. Honestly, I believe fault would lie with the law firm, who possibly misunderstood the situation, or if they’re paid in % (possibly very likely) were the ones attempting to push the envelope. Just my thoughts.