Reselling Schweser materials and hit with fine?

Wow. Class act if that’s legit. Public relations 101… A+

Going by this… every Indian CFA candidate will go to jail.

my trolldar is getting some pretty strong signals atm

I don’t know. The real Dr. Doug would have signed “Dr. Doug, PhD, CFA 3/3 (star star star)”.

Yes, it’s me, and dude, I don’t use Dr. in the front and then put PhD after, that would be bad form:) I guess anybody could sign a post as me, but I like to think that Chad and our friends at AF wouldn’t let just anyone have my login ID. Seriously, we’ve had a long relationship with AF and they know it’s me posting. Happy studying. Dr. Doug

Dr. Doug Van Eaton CFA Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > I’m sorry to hear you have had these troubles. > While we are quite active in pursuing those who > willfully violate our copyrights for gain, it is > not, and has never been our policy or intention to > try to prevent the legal resale of our study > products by individual candidates who have > purchased our materials. We have reached out to > the firm performing copyright protection services > for us and asked them to contact you directly to > resolve this. While we hope that no legal seller > runs into problems in this regard, it is always > appropriate to contact us directly in such > instances. It is, in fact, most often our honest > and valued customers who alert us to the > activities of those few who seem to have no regard > for our rights regarding our study materials. > > Sincerely, > > Dr. Doug Van Eaton CFA > Head of CFA Education > Kaplan/Schweser so what how do you differentiate from someone who resells the material for ‘gain’ versus someone who resells the material in a ‘legal way’…what is the ‘legal way’ to resell the material from an individual to another individual… I highly doubt this ‘dr doug’ is head of Schweser…

BuySideWannabe Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > Dr. Doug Van Eaton CFA Wrote: > -------------------------------------------------- > ----- > > I’m sorry to hear you have had these troubles. > > While we are quite active in pursuing those who > > willfully violate our copyrights for gain, it > is > > not, and has never been our policy or intention > to > > try to prevent the legal resale of our study > > products by individual candidates who have > > purchased our materials. We have reached out > to > > the firm performing copyright protection > services > > for us and asked them to contact you directly > to > > resolve this. While we hope that no legal > seller > > runs into problems in this regard, it is always > > appropriate to contact us directly in such > > instances. It is, in fact, most often our > honest > > and valued customers who alert us to the > > activities of those few who seem to have no > regard > > for our rights regarding our study materials. > > > > Sincerely, > > > > Dr. Doug Van Eaton CFA > > Head of CFA Education > > Kaplan/Schweser > > > so what how do you differentiate from someone who > resells the material for ‘gain’ versus someone who > resells the material in a ‘legal way’…what is > the ‘legal way’ to resell the material from an > individual to another individual… > > I highly doubt this ‘dr doug’ is head of > Schweser… It’s actually pretty easy to spot the fraudulent ones online. I won’t disbelieve this guy unless SSF doesn’t get his issues resolved. Schweser is smart enough to know that this is the right thing to do, and their reputation on this forum is worth more than a couple hundy.

jcole21 Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > It’s actually pretty easy to spot the fraudulent ones online. I won’t disbelieve this guy unless SSF doesn’t get his issues resolved. > > Schweser is smart enough to know that this is the right thing to do, and their reputation on this forum is worth more than a couple hundy. Jcole’s logic and train of thought are sound. I spoke to Chad; it appears that this guy is indeed Dr. Van Eaton. Updates to follow.

Such an impressive response by Dr. VE. Wow!

wow

I am still somewhat skeptical. Why would Dr. Dougs account only be setup a few days ago if the relationship has been years already??

He’s never had a reason to post before. I don’t think there has ever been a legit anti-Schweser movement before, so why would he?

iteracom Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > I am still somewhat skeptical. Why would Dr. Dougs > account only be setup a few days ago if the > relationship has been years already?? They’ve been advertising on AF for years. I’m assuming that’s how they’ve had a relationship prior to this week.

Yeah other people may try to pose, but if this was a fake, would he really care to defend Schweser’s reputation? Who else has any incentive to want to make up such a PR post?

people defend the weirdest things. every went on a tech blog? those apple fanboys will buy a freaking refrigerator for triple the price if you stamp apple’s logo on it. and just because he never posted doesnt mean the account could not be setup. first post now is fine, but you would think at least the account would be setup a long while ago, not setup a few days ago. but if chad posts confirming it, then ill believe it

Of course it’s legit. Chad would have deleted the post and banned the individual if it wasn’t.

iteracom Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > and just because he never posted doesnt mean the > account could not be setup. first post now is > fine, but you would think at least the account > would be setup a long while ago, not setup a few > days ago. Umm … why would anybody create an account if they didn’t have anything to post about, especially on a forum that is open to everybody on the internet? Do you randomly go around forums and open accounts and sit on it just to build seniority credits with members, or do you actually open an account when you want to post something?

well if you have been paying to advertise on that board for YEARS then theres nothing weird about opening a account is there? And if that company was smart they would probably have someone on the forum to answer the many questions that frequently come up on the forum about 3rd party materials.

Going after copyright violators has worked so well for the music and movie industries…(that being said, I’m fairly sure I could get at least L1 books on a torrent site if I wanted to, or maybe some Indian chat board). Anyway, I thought most people (at least in the US anyway) can get reimbursed from their company for their materials. Provides an automatic incentive to people to not pirate Schweser. Few other copyright holders can say that. Thankfully, Schweser is smart enough to know that IP-troll lawyers have the mental acuity of pond scum. Can we at least agree on that?

ok, If that was Dr. VE, the owner of Kaplan, people would have acted on his instructions by now, its two days since he posted so I am assuming the op got atleast a call or an email by now. Hence request to OP, please let us know what happened. Did you hear from them?