Resume chonology - laid off/notice period

So, New York has a 90 notice period for employees. So, if you’re told you’re laid off on June 1st then you of course leave the office that day. However, the company isn’t allowed to technically terminate you until 90 days later (ie, September 1st). During this time, you have full benefits, full salary, even accrue vacation time that will be paid once when you’re officially terminated. In other words, you are still an official full time employee on the employer’s book although you are not showing up at work. Here’s the question: On your resume, do you put 1) April 200X - June 2009 (matching the actual days that you worked), or 2) April 200X - September 2009 (matching the employer records) #2 will match whatever comes up on a background check and, optically, makes for a shorter gap between jobs. #1 will have to be amended for background check purposes but matches with the time period for which your ex-managers will be able to be a reference. Also, what about for CFA work experience? Is #2 accurate or dishonest?

Don’t fool yourself, the employer will only report the dates under which you’re employed with the firm. They will not report dates that you are receiving severance and will even generally dispute your claim of being employed there if you report the longer time period to a future employer.

Actually, I cant speak for New York, but I know in Texas that Deloitte Dallas office will report the severance time period as well, when reporting employment dates. My friend was let go and this issue came up. HR confirmed they will treat it in this manner.

JTLD: I don’t think you got the point of my post. The 90 is not severance. Severance starts after the 90 days. The company would report that you were an employee until September - hence the question.

If you are coming into the office and working during those 90 days, then yes, you are officially still an employee of the firm.

If you did not come into the office, then you “left the premises on June 1” but you were still an employee until September 1.

I guess it is whatever the company reports you as. In my multiple jobs on both sides of the layoff picture (as layer and layee) I’ve never seen a company report dates of employment extending beyond an employee’s last official day in the office doing actual work for the company, even if they are still drawing a salary. But if your company does that for you then they are pretty d@mn generous and you should milk it for what it’s worth. I would ask HR what dates they have your employment as so as not to give erroneous information to a future employer.

Yea its definitely generous. I know for a fact that the employer will include the 90 days’ notice in its official days. This question is especially important for me because I had the job for <1 year. Therefore, the extra 90 days adds >30% to the actual time I was in the position. Optically, I think this is very material. On the same note, it can make it all the much more materially misleading. If I had the job for 5 years, I probably would just include the 90 days and not be asking this question.