Resume Help

Investment Analyst: InvestmentFirm, , Temporary • Portfolio statistics evaluation on a team of 4 members • Assisted with GIPS Implementation • Equity research support • Business development I just finished up this temp position at an absolute return fund. My job was a lot of reading and summarizing research, reading/summarizing GIPS and create a walk through for compliance, seek out assistance for getting on institutional money radar, suitable database listing and searching, and a portfolio return stat analysis (cjones helped me a ton with this). I created a spreadsheet that tracked the portfolio of the firm against the S&P and compared returns, risk, and various ratios. This is what I put on my resume for the time being, but what can I do to make it more result oriented?

Dude, aren’t you starting business school?? That’s like a basketball player trying to decide what number jersey he’s going to wear after he retires.

iheartiheartmath Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > Dude, aren’t you starting business school?? That’s > like a basketball player trying to decide what > number jersey he’s going to wear after he retires. It has started. Pretty soon here I’ll be sending out resumes for internships though.

If you’re interested I could send you some materials from my school. I’m guessing you have a career center there with similar info though.

I may need to swing by the career service office at my school. Though this is a minor detail I need to tweak on the resume.

QuantJock_MBA Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > Investment Analyst: InvestmentFirm, , Temporary > • Portfolio statistics evaluation on a team of 4 > members > • Assisted with GIPS Implementation > • Equity research support > • Business development > > I just finished up this temp position at an > absolute return fund. My job was a lot of reading > and summarizing research, reading/summarizing GIPS > and create a walk through for compliance, seek out > assistance for getting on institutional money > radar, suitable database listing and searching, > and a portfolio return stat analysis (cjones > helped me a ton with this). > > I created a spreadsheet that tracked the portfolio > of the firm against the S&P and compared returns, > risk, and various ratios. > > This is what I put on my resume for the time > being, but what can I do to make it more result > oriented? Describe business development more. What did you do? Make x number of calls?

juventurd Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > QuantJock_MBA Wrote: > -------------------------------------------------- > ----- > > Investment Analyst: InvestmentFirm, , > Temporary > > • Portfolio statistics evaluation on a team of > 4 > > members > > • Assisted with GIPS Implementation > > • Equity research support > > • Business development > > > > I just finished up this temp position at an > > absolute return fund. My job was a lot of > reading > > and summarizing research, reading/summarizing > GIPS > > and create a walk through for compliance, seek > out > > assistance for getting on institutional money > > radar, suitable database listing and searching, > > and a portfolio return stat analysis (cjones > > helped me a ton with this). > > > > I created a spreadsheet that tracked the > portfolio > > of the firm against the S&P and compared > returns, > > risk, and various ratios. > > > > This is what I put on my resume for the time > > being, but what can I do to make it more result > > oriented? > > > Describe business development more. What did you > do? Make x number of calls? Since it was a small firm of 4 people, there were plenty of questions that could not be answered right away. I leveraged my network several times for some outside guidance pertaining to obtaining more assets and getting on the radar of institutional money management. No cold calling, but on two occasions I put the principals in contact with individuals in charge of institutional money for the firm to give a pitch to.

How did the firm do when you were working there? You can’t take credit for everything, but you can show at least you were working for competent people. Play up the ER and BD points and maybe even make the eval and GIPS points one line.

Firm’s performance was less than the S&P since hedges were in place during the rally. Though standard deviation was lower and the Sharpe Ratio was higher than the S&P over the previous 5 years. During 08 the firm lost 7%.

Any other suggestions?

make it more results oriented… What you did, then what it did. example… *Assisted in new business development leading to $X of new assets… etc…

fxguy1234 Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > make it more results oriented… > > > What you did, then what it did. > > example… > > *Assisted in new business development leading to > $X of new assets… > etc… Upon departure, no new assets arrived per my action. Though the potential is still in the air.

c’mon dude you gotta sell yourself! *Assisted in new business development initiating meetings with $X of new assets

That helps alot. Sales is not my strong point. And I’ve been brainstorming how to chirp up this last job I held.

Can you quantify any of the research? Recommendation earned x% return or something?

artvandalay Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > Can you quantify any of the research? > > Recommendation earned x% return or something? Realistically probably not. I read a ton of publications and highlighted the good parts for the PMs to read.

I suppose I could say, "Equity Research support successfully outperforming the S&P 500 on a team of 3 members. We did outperform most of the months while I was there.

“Equity research support on a team of three contributed to portfolio outperforming benchmarks”

I like it! Thanks bud!