Resume Length - Canadian Jobs

So I have been hearing wayyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy toooooooooooooo many prespectives on how long should you resume be when you are applying for a job straight out of school. A lot of people say 1 and a lot say 2. My co-op department says 2, but I don’t trust them because, finance recruitments out of my school are very low. I am not worried about the content of the resume, I am pretty good at organizing, but would just like to get a feel on what industry (Finance -IB, commercial banking etc) standards are for a new graduate. P.S. I am in an undergraduate program, with 2 years of experience in commercial banking (co-op and part time), just in case if that makes a difference. Thanks for all of your feedback in advance. I wouldn’t mind hearing the U.S. side of things either, might give me some prespective.

1 page. By the way, what kind of Commercial Banking were you involved in?

2 years - 1 page 4 years - 2 pages

Same as the US, 1 page. I take it you goto UW, since all my UW friends love their 2page resumes. They all use 2 page resumes during on-campus drops.

adehbone Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > Same as the US, 1 page. I take it you goto UW, > since all my UW friends love their 2page resumes. > They all use 2 page resumes during on-campus > drops. I go to Brock University, but yea our co-op program is very similar to UW, in terms of preparing you for job search etc.

kblade Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > 1 page. > By the way, what kind of Commercial Banking were > you involved in? thanks kblade. what did you mean “what kind of commercial banking” were you refering which segment, role etc, please clarify!

Banking standards are 1 page for undergrads. As for what did I really mean? You got it, segment, role, duties, etc. Just curious…

kblade Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > Banking standards are 1 page for undergrads. > > As for what did I really mean? You got it, > segment, role, duties, etc. Just curious… I work as an analyst for an account manager, i have done segments starting from core(5m-10m) and structured (10m and over), since i am using internal language some of you might understand which bank i am from. As for duties, doing financial analysis, doing credit write up for new deals and annual reviews. Write ups involve a lot of due diligence and research. Its actually a good role for a co-op. I have never done any “Bit@h work” for being a co-op student, i.e. no fetching coffee, photocopying etc for others. I work on my account managers portfolio, I even got taken out to lunch with a client once (i dont think i could afford that restaurant if I went on my own). i know you didn’t ask for this, but for all those recruiters out there; What I would like to do is get into the selling side, i.e. a relationship manager, I like that ever-changing dynamics and being under pressure. Writing credits, I find myself bored and sometimes working mindlessly. Any Takers?

1 page dude. Your experience doesn’t warrant 2.

1 is generally preferred but if u have important stuff on it that u dont want to leave out, then 2 isnt a big deal. mine was 2 pages when i was right out of school and i remember asking someone at the career center the same thing and she said 2 pages is ok in my case.