Retabulation advice for band 9

I have received my results the last week with a fail band 9, with the following matrix … Do you believe it worth a retabulation as i find it hard to understand

Alternative Investment, Economics, Financial Reporting and Analysis, Fixed Income, and Quantitative Methods > 70%

Equity 51-70%

Ethics, Corporate Finance, Portfolio Management, and Derivatives <50%

Don’t waste your money.

If you feel compelled to spend $100, you can send it to me, secure in the knowledge that:

• You’ll have the same chance of having your fail changed to a pass as if you had sent it to CFA Institute, and
  • It will do me a lot more good than it will do them

LOL please don’t tell the truth.

From all sources, retabulation is a fruitless money wasting effort. A couple of positive posts could not be verified.

Many band 10, 9 candidates have been confident that they could scored better. I have to say they may be overconfident on performance. Meanwhile, I believe CFAI’s confidence in their grading accuracy is as much susceptible as the confidence of many band 10 and 9 candidates.

What’s really retabulation? I never heard any other exam offer regrading or retabulation. But many other exams offer answer sheet and list which questions wer answered correct and wrong. So exam takers are not totally in dark.

here is from Dictionary.com on tabulate

verb (used with object), tabulated, tabulating. 1.

to put or arrange in a tabular, systematic, or condensed form;formulate tabularly.

verb (used without object), tabulated, tabulating. 2.

to operate the tab key on a typewriter; to tab

So what’s the defination of Retabulation by CFAI? Here is what they say:

https://www.cfainstitute.org/programs/cfaprogram/exams/Pages/your_exam_result.aspx

Exam Score Retabulation

If you are not satisfied with your exam result, you may request that your exam score be manually retabulated. Additional details regarding the deadline and payment process can be found on the Retabulation Request Form (PDF, please open in Adobe or in a web browser other than Firefox), available for 30 days following the release of results.

The retabulation process only confirms that your scores are recorded and totaled correctly. Retabulation is not an appeals process nor a re-marking service, nor will it change the grades on your individual answers. If your score is found to be accurate, you will still be responsible for paying the retabulation fee and no refund will be given. If, however, your score is found to be incorrect, even if it does not change your exam result, CFA Institute will promptly refund your retabulation fee.

CFA Institute does not release individual scores, nor do we release scores for any portion of the exam. All exam materials, including answers, are the property of CFA Institute and will not be returned to you in either original or copied form.

Multiple Choice/Item Set Retabulation

A CFA Institute staff member pulls your answer sheets, verifies your name and CFA Institute ID number, and manually compares your properly marked answers to an answer key. We then confirm scores were correctly added and the total score is reflected in the CFA Institute database.

Your score is determined solely by the marks read by the scanning equipment. It is your responsibility to complete your answer sheet correctly to ensure all information is accurately recorded during grading. Failure to follow instructions may affect how the scanning machine reads and records your information. Marks made by a writing instrument other than a No. 2 or an HB pencil may not be read by the scanning equipment. Marks that do not fill an oval completely and/or are not dark enough may not be read by the scanning equipment. Random marks and poor erasures may be read as an intended answer.

Essay Retabulation

A CFA Institute staff member confirms the scores for all question parts are accurately recorded and totaled in the CFA Institute database.

Please direct all questions regarding exam results to info@cfainstitute.org.

in the retabulation form it says

The retabulation process only confirms that your scores are recorded and totaled correctly. Retabulation is not an appeals process nor a re-marking service, nor will it change the grades on your individual answers. If your score is found to be accurate, you will still be responsible for paying the retabulation fee and no refund will be given. If, however, your score is found to be incorrect, even if it does not change your exam result, CFA Institute will promptly refund your retabulation fee. CFA Institute does not release individual scores, nor do we release scores for any portion of the exam. All exam materials, including answers, are the property of CFA Institute and will not be returned to you in either original or copied form.

So, I believe, they considered whatever the scan machine read is your final answer as it already said and written during exam. Is there chance a mismatch between your answer sheet and exam book? who knows. Is there computer bugs that would mess up when comparing scanned answer with correct answer? who knows. They won’t check all these. What they do is probably manually count your “correct answers” given my scanning machine and sum it up. In this case, a million retabulation will result in same score as given at the same time. Like Excel spread sheet, they won’t give wrong anwers in summing up cells. If anything wrong it from what value is put in the cell.

A really reliable re-gading shuld be like this, take out the answer sheet and it’s matching textbook, and compare the answer sheet against the verified correct answer. But CFAI won’t do this, ever.

The only exciting way to deal with a fail is to pass it next time, no other way around.

waste of time and money, CFAI would never change the scores !

The range scoring (<50 etc) and not the exact scoring = green harbor… + captive hypothesis + potential reputation damages…with this combination it is practically impossible !

[quote=“S2000magician”]

Don’t waste your money.

If you feel compelled to spend $100, you can send it to me, secure in the knowledge that:

• You’ll have the same chance of having your fail changed to a pass as if you had sent it to CFA Institute, and
  • It will do me a lot more good than it will do them

Lool @2000Magician…Just put yourself together for next year and see this as an opportunity to further improve your knowledge in areas of weakness and strength.

Cheers…