retention- the lack of it

i finished quant over a month ago and i feel like i’ve forgotten everything already. i think things gelled for me when i started taking practice tests for level 1. i am thinking about hitting the q bank on stuff i read a while ago to keep it fresh. what are you guys doing to retain this stuff as you go toward june? i write my own notes and have schweser as i’m not much of a flash card person. are any of you guys having trouble or am i the only amnesiac?

I usually take a 30 question qbank quiz every few days on all past info. I also plan to take a full exam on the first Saturday of each month (starting Feb 1). I did the same for L1 last year and I thought it helped immensely. I was able to see what I had forgotten and by the time test time came around I had already taken about 8 full tests so test day was just one more. Some people say take all your tests in the end, but I like to do them throughout my studying.

feel you should only take a test when your in a position to answer the vast majority of the questions. so agree that you could dissect a test though into its parts and take the parts when you review the said material… swings and roundabouts…

I make giant posters for each topic. I taped them all over my ceiling and walls in my bedroom. I am convinced the information leaks into my head when I am sleeping. Also, the chicks love it. Nothing is more of a turn on than being on your back and seeing foreign exchange arbitrage conditions.

jbisback Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > I make giant posters for each topic. I taped them > all over my ceiling and walls in my bedroom. I am > convinced the information leaks into my head when > I am sleeping. Also, the chicks love it. Nothing > is more of a turn on than being on your back and > seeing foreign exchange arbitrage conditions. Sounds like the average friday night in the ROC includes Adderall for you and Rohypnol for her. Did I read somewhere that you have a new job? Are you heading to Colorado?

just put the schweser quicksheet on her back…

i do review weeks every 2/3 months, i take 2/3 days to review big topics, and do a test of 50 q bank qs for each. i like the poster idea, good way to pick up chicks (not) lol

Most of us probably retain a lot more that we give ourselves credit for. Why not try to get through the material quickly. And then go back for a quick read…

^^ Agree with ajstamford. My main concern right now is to quickly go through the entire material. It’s much easier to retain everything in detail the second time around.

I am also doing something similar as ruhi22. I speed read the material the first time around and then take a closer look, focusing on the LOS’. Second time around is a lot easier … at least you know what’s coming.

All, I wanted to bump this fwd to see how folks are dealing with retention issues … I am starting to freak out at not being able to remember stuff I supposedly studied “hard” last week … much less stuff I did earlier. While at first I was speedreading everything first, now I feel that I need to read more cardefully first, to then go back and focus on the LOS’ (I’m using the do-it-yourself cards to the degree possible). Would you mind sharing what are you doing at this stage of the ball game to retain this stuff while also trying to learn the new material?

i’m hitting the qbank more often now on every topic i’ve covered and i’m finding that is helping. i’ve only got 1/2 of derivatives and portfolio mgmt left to read. i’m also going back and doing the schweser online course for the topics i’ve covered on the weekends to refresh my memory on the stuff i read first. i’m debating doing the flashcards, but i may do that as well since there are more formulas than i anticiapted. but really, i’m still struggling w/ retention.

I do the qbank every week but it should be more often. It really helps a lot. I read a couple of financial blogs and sites for anything that looks familiar (nakedcapitalism.com’s latest is on VIE’s), and i try to relate it to what I know. Everything I read, I try to relate it to a situation with a real company or what I’ve seen on the news. mnemonics and acronyms, making things out of initials - for example, the standards of practice are pidd acker (piddacr), code is apu epm, (reminds me of apu on the simpsons)