Risk management

Risk management is considered backoffice position. If I want to be an asset manager eventually, Is it still a good starting point for a career?

Risk Management is middle office. Back office is accounting, operations, reconciliations, etc.

So an accountant who is a CPA or CA holds a back office position?

Why would someone with an MBA accept a BO position, or an MO position for that matter?

why would anyone with an MBA think that they deserve more? the last time i checked, earning a piece of paper entitled you just that, a piece of paper. nobody is obligated to treat it like legal tender.

why would anyone with an MBA think that they deserve more? >> why not ??

Maybe some people are content in the back office?

Not everyone who has an MBA is entitled to a front-office position or wants one for that matter. Plenty of people get an MBA and go into fields and positions that are not client-facing in IB, ER, S&T, etc. Also, you don’t know the quality of the MBA. A mid-tier (or below) MBA means absolutely nothing and holds no weight for any decent FO positions.

So an accountant who is a CPA or CA holds a back office position?

Are you kidding with this question??? former trader Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > So an accountant who is a CPA or CA holds a back > office position?

“why would anyone with an MBA think that they deserve more? >> why not ??” Because the MBA is outside the top 10 and employers now place more emphasis on candidates with a better quantitative understanding of Finance. Perhaps?

I know a lg institutional asset mngt company (aum =$628.4 billion) where the usual in-house track was risk analyst- pa- pm… but thats just one company

Kiwi Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > “why would anyone with an MBA think that they > deserve more? >> why not ??” > > Because the MBA is outside the top 10 and > employers now place more emphasis on candidates > with a better quantitative understanding of > Finance. Perhaps? I was under the assumption that the person in question also has / is working towards the CFA

ER is technically MO, plenty of MBA’s work in research…

ahahah Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > ER is technically MO, plenty of MBA’s work in > research… from my search, a lot of ER requires MBA.