Risk management?

What compensation is like for a risk manager(very low bonus I guess)? I heard if a person start to work as a risk manager, it is very hard for him to transition to other quant role. So what boils down to: is risk management a good career? Work/life balance, compensation?

Qualify role: market, credit, operational (in general terms of desending order of comp) Qualify firm: fund, bank (including size), asset mgr Quant: there is the spectrum of quant jobs in each, with market risk having the most amount of quant roles IMHO Work/life tends to be overwhelmingly better than fo, even in market risk (mostly) Transition: many people on the market side (specifically those involved in market, of which modeling risk, tend to go directly to quant trading/pricing roles at my firm) Comp tends to be lower than FO but job security more stable. Good risk managers can make good money for the work life balance.

Saks, Qualify firm: fund, bank (including size), asset mgr Why you think quality of the firm: fund is higher than bank? I guess fund is hedge fund?

qualify = you need to add more specifics to question

look at some job descriptions http://www.garp.com/careercenter/index.asp

AssetMgrWannabe Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > What compensation is like for a risk manager(very > low bonus I guess)? I heard if a person start to > work as a risk manager, it is very hard for him to > transition to other quant role. So what boils down > to: is risk management a good career? Work/life > balance, compensation? Hmm… Well I know some people near and dear to me who have gotten bonuses closer to 7 figures than 5 by being a risk manager.

Is there any opportunity for movement within risk (i.e. operational -> credit -> market)?