Road after CFA level 1 -Jobs tips

Hi After completing my CFA Level 1, I plan on approaching a few companies to begin getting my feet wet in the industry. I’m really interested in M&A plus I have a friend in that area who has given me some info about it. I’m based in Alberta,Canada and really just want to get into the investment banking industry and get some experience. My question is are there any strategies or tips or methods to go about doing this? an does anybody have any recommendations on where to start?..finally if anyone has any contacts to network of course i would be more than grateful. Any information/suggestions are welcome. Thank you

Two words for you bud: Middle East!

level 1 doesn’t mean jack sh*t to the employers.

Jayusx Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > level 1 doesn’t mean jack sh*t to the employers. Agree 100% … I’m in Middle East!

Buji Falcon Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > Jayusx Wrote: > -------------------------------------------------- > ----- > > level 1 doesn’t mean jack sh*t to the > employers. > > > Agree 100% … I’m in Middle East! Well I’m in Dubai and it actually does - It wouldn’t get you your dream job but it would increase your chances of getting better jobs … I know one of the biggest companies here that actually requires all employees in their training program to get CFA level 1 before they are given the position of “financial analyst” at the company … Other companies increase your salary upon completing CFA level 1; the increase is between 10-15% from your original salary based on what I have seen … so Level 1 on its own isn’t bad. But besides from getting better jobs/higher salaries, it is enough to show to your employer/potential employer that you can handle that much amount of studies and work on your own - that you are taking stuff seriously … Not only this, but you also make your resume looks better if instead of saying “I passed level 1” you put “Level II candidate” Omar

You wont get a job on the strength of the L1 exam alone (there are jobs you can get on the strength of the designation alone), but if you otherwise on equal footing with another job candidate who does not have L1, it sure wont hurt.

Omar Adnan Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > Not only this, but you also make your resume looks > better if instead of saying “I passed level 1” you > put “Level II candidate” > > Omar Better make sure you are registered for L2 (as in, paid and registered, not that you plan to register) or you will in violation of the COE.

yodacaia Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > Omar Adnan Wrote: > -------------------------------------------------- > ----- > > > Not only this, but you also make your resume > looks > > better if instead of saying “I passed level 1” > you > > put “Level II candidate” > > > > Omar > > Better make sure you are registered for L2 (as in, > paid and registered, not that you plan to > register) or you will in violation of the COE. I guess everyone here knows what a candidate means :slight_smile:

Omar Adnan Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > > Well I’m in Dubai and it actually does - > … Other companies increase your salary upon > completing CFA level 1; the increase is between > 10-15% from your original salary based on what I > have seen … so Level 1 on its own isn’t bad. > > > Omar That’s nuts. I agree with other posters about L1 doing squat for the job search. 10-15% salary boost definitely does not apply to new york. You’ll be lucky enough to have the company pay for the exam and books. A salary boost in NY? in your dreams maybe. Most of the candidates want to get a job in the financial power center’s, so there’s such a surplus of CFA candidates, especially around New York.

iteracom Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > Omar Adnan Wrote: > -------------------------------------------------- > ----- > > > > Well I’m in Dubai and it actually does - > > … Other companies increase your salary upon > > completing CFA level 1; the increase is between > > 10-15% from your original salary based on what > I > > have seen … so Level 1 on its own isn’t bad. > > > > > > Omar > > > That’s nuts. > > I agree with other posters about L1 doing squat > for the job search. 10-15% salary boost definitely > does not apply to new york. You’ll be lucky enough > to have the company pay for the exam and books. A > salary boost in NY? in your dreams maybe. > > Most of the candidates want to get a job in the > financial power center’s, so there’s such a > surplus of CFA candidates, especially around New > York. There is difference in the level of salaries paid to begin with … 10-15% of $5k might not be a big deal for many after all

Happened to speak about CFA (L1 in particular) with the COO of a leading invt bank…quote" It just indicates u have a reasonable head on ur shoulders and are willing to work hard, nothing much beyond that" unquote

iteracom Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > Omar Adnan Wrote: > -------------------------------------------------- > ----- > > > > Well I’m in Dubai and it actually does - > > … Other companies increase your salary upon > > completing CFA level 1; the increase is between > > 10-15% from your original salary based on what > I > > have seen … so Level 1 on its own isn’t bad. > > > > > > Omar > > > That’s nuts. > > I agree with other posters about L1 doing squat > for the job search. 10-15% salary boost definitely > does not apply to new york. You’ll be lucky enough > to have the company pay for the exam and books. A > salary boost in NY? in your dreams maybe. > > Most of the candidates want to get a job in the > financial power center’s, so there’s such a > surplus of CFA candidates, especially around New > York. Same goes for Toronto :frowning:

bay.street Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > iteracom Wrote: > -------------------------------------------------- > ----- > > Omar Adnan Wrote: > > > -------------------------------------------------- > > > ----- > > > > > > Well I’m in Dubai and it actually does - > > > … Other companies increase your salary upon > > > completing CFA level 1; the increase is > between > > > 10-15% from your original salary based on > what > > I > > > have seen … so Level 1 on its own isn’t bad. > > > > > > > > > > Omar > > > > > > That’s nuts. > > > > I agree with other posters about L1 doing squat > > for the job search. 10-15% salary boost > definitely > > does not apply to new york. You’ll be lucky > enough > > to have the company pay for the exam and books. > A > > salary boost in NY? in your dreams maybe. > > > > Most of the candidates want to get a job in the > > financial power center’s, so there’s such a > > surplus of CFA candidates, especially around > New > > York. > > Same goes for Toronto :frowning: Unfortunately the same goes here in Sydney, most employers wouldn’t give an automatic 10-15% pay rise on passing level 1 unless it was written into their contract. I guess if you are going for a new job, it will show the employer that you are dedicated to learning, but that’s about it. The truth is passing level 1 hardly makes an expert in any field in finance.

Hi Omar, I’m from Lebanon and I am a level 2 candidate. I’m currently working at a reputable research company however I would like to work in an investment bank in Dubai. But I cannot seem to find openings, and the ones that I find, require years of experience!! Any suggestion. Thanks!

If you want to make it to the top of Inv. Banking, then NY, London, Hong Kong, & Singapore are the places to be. Although a tonne of professionals in these markets are charterholders and the job landscape is competetive, the amount you will learn within a short time period is amazing. The size and volume of deals closed in these areas is beyond anything you will see in any other region. From personal experience, the UAE in general should be a pit stop or end point in your career, not a place to start up.

hey guys i have done my level 1 in dec 09 then a unsuccessful attempt for level 2 in past June… i am planning to move to middle east, whats the best way to approach market there?? guys in middle east please drop me a email at ahmed.yasir83@gmail.com i will be extremely thankful for your help in this regard

unless you’re campus recruiting, L1 won’t get you into m&a. while it’s a good background, you won’t have nearly the tools/skills to tackle a m&a job. the reason i mention campus recruiting is b/c if you’re coming in as a recent grad, at least you could participate in their analyst training/bootcamp - which is what you’ll need to do the job. but doing lifo/fifo adjustments, understanding monopolistic demand curves, or doing a simple FRA calc is useless. the one area that was most pertinent to m&a (financial modeling) had the least amount of coverage in L1. the accounting section was probably the most helpful, but again, it’s not enough. re: middle east, maybe it’s a totally different game there, i only know of domestic bulge brackets based on my own experience as an analyst/associate and one who does interviewing for incoming analysts.