ROI on MBA

http://www.aacsb.edu/resource_centers/value/p42-45.pdf What do you all think?

I was going to take a look at that article but got stopped in my tracks by the idiotic illustration on the second page. I’m not sure I will be able to take any MBA seriously after seeing that.

Captain Windjammer Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > I was going to take a look at that article but got > stopped in my tracks by the idiotic illustration > on the second page. I’m not sure I will be able > to take any MBA seriously after seeing that. Yeah, that looks like a rather chauncey article. Where’d you find that at ditch?

Some googling lead to it. It is from the aacsb so it is pushing the propaganda line.

Some googling lead to it. It is from the aacsb so it is pushing the propaganda line.

Oh god, my eyes! That’s a minute of my life that I will never get back.

Captain Windjammer Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > I was going to take a look at that article but got > stopped in my tracks by the idiotic illustration > on the second page. I’m not sure I will be able > to take any MBA seriously after seeing that. +1 I LOL’d

+1 I think they lifited it off an album produced by Master P.

juventurd Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > +1 > > I think they lifited it off an album produced by > Master P. lol … now I’ve got that song in my head … make em’ say uhhhhhhh …

“Getting a plain-vanilla MBA today is like receiving a tax-free, cash award of more than a half million dollars.” Oh yeah, after that plain vanilla MBA I’m just going to kick up my feet, make a margarita and relax on easy street. I guess if I got an exotic (contrast to plain vanilla) MBA I could become a space tourist or something.

looks like a optimistic UofP graduate wrote it

I think that this is an incredibly irresponsible article for the AACSB to publish. It’s conclusion is that an MBA will unequivocally lead to higher life time earnings. They do not differentiate between people in different kinds of careers or different pre-MBA jobs. They also do not define a “plain vanilla” MBA - they ignore the fact that business schools vary wildly in quality, even within the middle tier. By glossing over these details, the article risks recommending MBAs to people who will not benefit from getting those degrees. If this article came from an unknown source, we could probably just laugh it off. However, the fact that it appears on the website of an institution whose purpose is to confer accreditations to business schools is very disturbing. At the very least, my perception of the AACSB has dropped significantly after reading this. The most perplexing thing, however, is the footnote at the very end of the article: “This article is adapted from a lecture given to policymakers at the US House of Representatives in March”. Is this bullshit really worth the time of policymakers whose salaries our taxes are paying for? This makes me want to vomit.

I like how they are comparing an education to an index. There are also MBAs who become homeless, how do you calculate the IRR on that?

Hello Mister Walrus Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > I think that this is an incredibly irresponsible > article for the AACSB to publish. It’s conclusion > is that an MBA will unequivocally lead to higher > life time earnings. They do not differentiate > between people in different kinds of careers or > different pre-MBA jobs. They also do not define a > “plain vanilla” MBA - they ignore the fact that > business schools vary wildly in quality, even > within the middle tier. By glossing over these > details, the article risks recommending MBAs to > people who will not benefit from getting those > degrees. > > If this article came from an unknown source, we > could probably just laugh it off. However, the > fact that it appears on the website of an > institution whose purpose is to confer > accreditations to business schools is very > disturbing. At the very least, my perception of > the AACSB has dropped significantly after reading > this. > > The most perplexing thing, however, is the > footnote at the very end of the article: “This > article is adapted from a lecture given to > policymakers at the US House of Representatives in > March”. Is this bullshit really worth the time of > policymakers whose salaries our taxes are paying > for? This makes me want to vomit. Nicely said.