Rolex Air King

I’m going to pass on the Air King, for now. I worry about its ability to hold its value because it is so reviled by Rolex purists. I still can’t wrap my head around the different hours/minutes indicators, and I might buy one if they fix that on the next model.

Being my first/only watch, I think it’s too loud for an everyday piece. If I was a serious collector, I’d like to have this to wear occasionally.

I’m going to be boring and go with the Omega to start my collection. Also keeping my wrist wear several levels below my new boss’'s Submariner seems wise.

speedy is a classic watch. good choice, enjoy it!

Agh… I don’t like the roley. Its a 40m case, how big is your wrist? Looks like a childs version of a watch. If you get this roley then everyone will think you’re the guy who can’t afford the sub or GMT. Personally i would go with something else…

I’m about to take the plunge on a DSSD - its a big boy but i got a large wrist. It’s not something i would wear all the time though. https://www.rolex.com/watches/sea-dweller/m116660-0001.html

You could go with an omega… I’ve got the seamaster 500ft with white dial and black alligator strap… very classy watch and not an entry level.

that said dude, you’re gonna be wearing it alot and you’ll likely have it forever. Buy whatever you want. Enjoy it. Get another one in a few years when you get that big bonus you always wanted.

Good idea dude. Omega is a great watch, classy, understated.

Omega’s a good choice, though I would option for the S/S band and pick up the croc strap on the side. You can wear it everyday at work and the black dial does not scream flash.

As for the air king; I am a fan of the earlier ones but this colour scheme is too close to the milgauss. Also something you can pick up on the secondary market as it’s not as in demand. I would revisit this watch in a few years time but my feeling is it will not keep your interest.

and pokhim, DSSD, EDM concerts, young grad love, are you sure you’re in credit?!

Thanks to everyone for talking some sense into me. I went with the Omega with S/S bracelet (good call el_macca) for now, I will get something more unique for my next watch. Here is the one I bought from Jomashop: https://www.jomashop.com/omega-watch-311-30-42-30-01-005.html I think it will be a good starter piece for the collection and will keep me out of competition with my new boss for a while.

I will report back on my experience with Jomashop. I called before submitting my order to make sure it was in stock and they confirmed that it was, I should have it by the end of the week.

I have never been a fan of the Rolex dive watches but I can respect this. I got a quick peek at my boss’ s watch during an interview and I recognized it as a Submariner black on black, now looking at the DSSD it could have been a Sea Dweller. That is a big watch, the Speedmaster is 42mm x 14mm and has me a bit worried.

Double Income No KIds -… the goodlife for now.

i use my phone to tell time!

I’ve been doing that for the last few weeks after sending my watch in for service and it’s a pain! I only own one watch.

Long may you DINK my friend.

i’m worried about the message this statement sends to your future children :frowning_face:. A terrible example

suck my brown balls

Again, another terrible example of slang usage for your children. Very uncreative. It is Dual not Double , you simpleton. Completely different meanings. Until you learn what things like DINK stand for, you will continue to be shrouded in a mist of imbecility that no worthwhile thought can enter :-1:.

A 40mm Air King will wear at least as large as a 42mm Speedmaster, since the face is bigger. Speedmaster is a little bit thicker, but 1mm is not that much. Some Speedmasters have the glass back, and they are like 16mm thick. That is a bit much. With the normal Speedmaster, I’d be more bothered if it feels lopsided if it’s not balanced by a metal bracelet.

Anyway, one thing to realize is that watches become commodities after some time. Common models like Submariner or Speedmasters have pretty transparent market values that go up or down over time. With new models like this Air-King, you are taking more of a risk, since the market is sticky to MSRP. I don’t think it will be a $6k watch after a few years. It’s more likely to be like $5k new on the gray market after a while.

This was my fear. Although I bought my watch to keep and because I like it, a nice watch should be expected to hold its value. I also thought that maybe the new Air King, as a strange piece might gain value over time, but it could and probably will go the opposite way as you said.

I would say holding value is one thing, but prices don’t matter when there’s no liquidity. The demand for an Air King is pretty low, while dozens of speedmasters and submariners will change hands daily. Waiting 8 months to sell a 6k watch is no fun - the longer the list the bigger discounts you need to put down. You can get those at pretty good discount to MSRP but that’s because Omega’s AD system is kind of broken, and the trading is frequent enough that there are different grades are segmented by price, probably the most efficient watch market I can recall. The other factor in large discounts is cost of service which gets higher for certain brands (this is partially negated by large scale manufacturers with a steady supply of 3rd party watch makers who have access to a steady supply of parts)

f uck me, we got the f u cking gramma police in town. Whenever you think about saying something, just refer to my earlier comment about sucking brown balls.

i think ohai’s second paragraph is something i would take into serious consideration.

Never thought Ohai would create a second account.

Dude, chill…Franky is a parody account, his whole schtick is pretending to be this Borat/Yakov Smirnoff-type personality from some vague Eastern European country, who, in addition to eating lots of goulash and hailing from a conservative village where all the women wear handkerchiefs on their heads, laments about the deterioration of Western morals and values in a slightly off way that shows he doesn’t quite get the culture. I, for one, think it’s pretty hilarious.