Running out of topics

Ever feel like everything’s been discussed that pertains to finance? I mean, events happen, but more often than not they’re just repackaging of stuff that’s happened before. I think the growth of AF has been a huge help developmentally because I’ve been exposed to all those many discussions I wouldn’t have ever encountered in the normal course of my work. But now everything feels like I’ve already heard it before.

CFA>MBA?

hahahaha there has been a lot of topics discussed on AF, and I feel questions get r-eposted by new comers…I guess there’s a WAL for AF members…after a while, you mature and move on when you’ve discussed everything under the sun pertaining to finance…

Do you read any journals?

DarienHacker Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > Do you read any journals? Nope, I always figured I was too dumb for academic journals, any recommendations for a slow learner?

Financial Analysts Journal (perhaps this automatically comes with CFAI membership?) is certainly accessible to anyone who received the charter, and is filled with discussions of novel various finance (investing) topics.

On an unrelated note, just found out Guillermo Del Toro dropped out of directing the Hobbit last year and I’m thoroughly pissed. I was DYING to see what his interpretation would look like.

Eyeball palms.

I found this forum a lot more interesting when I joined 3 years ago. But maybe it’s still the same today, it was just new to me back then. I still find it very interesting and useful.

Financial news was very interesting (sadly) during the crisis. I couldn’t stop following the news minute by minute from the Fall 2008 to spring 2009.

Black Swan Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > On an unrelated note, just found out Guillermo Del > Toro dropped out of directing the Hobbit last year > and I’m thoroughly pissed. I was DYING to see > what his interpretation would look like. thats some really geeky sh!t right there

Yah it is. Although it’s not that I like lord of the rings I just think guillarmo del toro is amazing. Also, the guy that taught me to kayak is a huge lord of the rings nut. Aparently he caught the bug after taking gen ed classes at university of Vermont dedicated to the books. He can speak the elvish language and everything, even had elvish runes on his helmet. Interestingly, he said that tolkien was a phd in linguistics and wrote the books as an escape while he was in the trenches in one of the world wars. As a result, all the character languages are fully developed and functional and aparently the worlds he developed in his journals and letters are like fully structured rather than just shallow backdrops. It’s nerdy, but I kinda dig it when I meet nuanced people like that. Kid’s hardcore though, he won wipeout of the year from a professional whitewater video company after he was caught on camera going over a 30+ ft class V waterfall without his kayak after he had to bail in a hydraulic. He was wearing two pairs of pants and the force of the impact and water tore both pairs off at the knee converting them to Capri shorts.

Black Swan Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > Yah it is. Although it’s not that I like lord of > the rings I just think guillarmo del toro is > amazing. Also, the guy that taught me to kayak is > a huge lord of the rings nut. Aparently he caught > the bug after taking gen ed classes at university > of Vermont dedicated to the books. He can speak > the elvish language and everything, even had > elvish runes on his helmet. Interestingly, he > said that tolkien was a phd in linguistics and > wrote the books as an escape while he was in the > trenches in one of the world wars. As a result, > all the character languages are fully developed > and functional and aparently the worlds he > developed in his journals and letters are like > fully structured rather than just shallow > backdrops. It’s nerdy, but I kinda dig it when I > meet nuanced people like that. Kid’s hardcore > though, he won wipeout of the year from a > professional whitewater video company after he was > caught on camera going over a 30+ ft class V > waterfall without his kayak after he had to bail > in a hydraulic. He was wearing two pairs of pants > and the force of the impact and water tore both > pairs off at the knee converting them to Capri > shorts. I am a huge LOTR fan as well. Actually, a little know fact… russian author - Nick Perumov wrote continuation to LOTR, which i think was pretty good (Atleast first 2 books)

It would be awesome if Middle-Earth had a well developed financial market with exchanges where elves, dwarves, humans and hobbits could congregate and trade valuable commodities like elven metal, or halfling weed.

Yes, but then Sauron, LLC started securitizing loans on elvish metal so that anyone and their dwarven friends could buy more hobbit weed and set up a nice little cottage in The Shire.

Anyone here read the Redwall series? It had the same sort of feel with the different clans/species and were a great read in my youth. Heard the author died a few days ago, and he was working on the 22nd installment.

Yep, read the redwall series when I was younger. My nerdiness knows no bounds. Although I’d definitely say the redwall series was probably my least favorite of the genre. My middle school reading rankings would have probably gone something like this: 1) Star Wars (It’s hard to admit that in public) 2) The Dark is Rising Sequence 3) LOTR 4) Random Odd Books 5) Lion the Witch & The Wardrobe (the movies were unwatchable, although I only saw one) 6) Redwall

Oh yes, i love nerdy middleschool literature discussion. I’ll agree with Redwall not being at the top of the list, although they were definitely entertaining. The Narnia series was also great - and i agree 100% about the movies. the unattrative British children didn’t help. I was also really into the Merlin series by T.A. Barron. Basically, any book with a map at the beginning was a great candidate. oh! and Watership Down - still in my top 10 of all time.

This thread turned awkward fast but I have to throw in my 2 cents that I too was a huge Star Wars fan and think there is nothing wrong with admitting that.

Hustler