sadly, I am giving up

Give it your best shot and take the exam.

Thank you Mace!!

you need to watch this video! if you have time to post, then you have time to study!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=shquazmK8BE

you dont want to pass this exam, you just say you do!

no offense to OP, but as someone who’s had a few threads asking for help go unanswered, it’s disappointing to see a thread like this get 60+ replies when ppl are grinding and in need of help

Sadly, the correlation between the length of time it takes to prepare for the CFA exam and how well one performs on the exam day is, in my opinion, very low, and at best negative. Meaning, the longer you have to prepare, the lesser your chance of passing. Why? Very simple! Forgetfulness sets in at some point.

What I am indirectly saying is, even if you choose to postpone taking the exam till 10 years’ time, you will always find yourself in a situation such as this; and really, you are not alone. We all forget what we’ve learnt at some point. Besides, the CFAI materials do change yearly - meaning you might not necessarily be reading the same material you read now at any later time in the future.

I would strongly suggest you give the exam a shot. Think about how your story and this last minute decision would inspire anybody close to you, say in a couple of years, and look at the opportunity of being an inspiration to others that you want to throw away.

Monkeyman take the exam and be the Moneyman.

#givethebabybackhisbottle

Never ceases to amaze me how different people live their lives and make different decisions. For me, not showing up wouldn’t even be an option…wouldn’t even cross my mind.

I’m dumbfounded that you can do 800 hours of study and not even turn up to the party.

Hahaha, The MonkeyMan is going!!!

I spend three days avoiding this thread, saying to myself, noo, don’t do it… Dont look, and… I F*cked up, here I am. The medusa thread… everybody lagging on their own self appraisal of the what if I leave… he left… uuuuu… all this time for nothing… shocking (hope this is not a sharky move from the monkey to loose everybody, nice bomb of loosing time if it is :D)

Anyway great to read Monkeyman is back on it!

At least he is not registered for this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iRWp9rhfS_0

6 death last year… I wanned to calculate some stats on it but couldn’t find the actual number of racers…

I’m thinking of giving up too. I’m tired. I’m burnt out. I was doing the KS mocks without time limits and thought I was doing OK. Then I tried the cfai timed and wasn’t getting over half done in the time. I just did a 3 part (not one or two part) binomial and then noticed I used the data of the wrong bond. Sigh. I’m thinking I just don’t have the timing to do it right.

I’m going to try my best and give it my ALL.

I have NO REGRETS, one way or the other!!!

Hang in there gad4! If you thought you were doing okay, you were probably were. It sounds like you’re just tired. Take it easy these next couple of days. Let your mind rest. You’ll be ready to do your best on Saturday. We’re all rooting for you and each other.

I’m looking at the formula sheet and I know most of the material. The problem is sorting through these large sets. I’m a timely manner without making math mistakes. I’ll keep plugging the next two days but in discouraged

I don’t see much upside to giving up a couple days before the exam. What do you gain? A couple of days with extra free time? Might as well show up and, if you fail, at least you have some experience under your belt.

Math mistakes come from being exhausted. It’s draining doing things we don’t know how to do well day in and day out, all day long. Rest.

^ PS, on the exam start with the sections you’re most comfortable with. Take the time you need. Don’t worry about the ones you can’t get to. Guess all a, or b, or c. You’ll likely get 1/3rd of them right.

sorry bro but I don’t get this approach. What are exactly one’s strong points? And if the questions on these “strong points” are extra hard, then what happens? I will do the exam cover to cover without worrying which are my strong areas, having to go back and forth on questions and risking not completing some.

how do you not get this approach?? most ppl have strengths and weaknesses. for me, i spent most time studying FRA, Equity, FI, and Derivatives and I will attack those first to ensure I get the most points on those questions possible. imagine how horrible it would be if you spent a ton of time on weaker sections and then had to rush through sections you are strong in and not even pick up sure points…

I posted this somewhere else but Ill repeat it here. I took L2 a couple years ago with nowhere close to 300 hrs prep and had a very poor understanding of nearly all the topics. I still had pretty much all the time I needed despite needing to brute force most of the calculations (recalc over and over different ways that made sense in my head). I guessed for a set at the end of the PM exam. obviously failed but the point is, time shouldnt be an issue.

Right now I feel like I have a good grasp on most of the meaty stuff but even the topics Im best at are nowhere near 3 minutes on the mocks/practice sets. Theyre much more comprehensive questions than I would expect to see on the real thing. The practice question might have you calc ROE, use that to calc growth, then use that on a complex TVM problem. The real thing might break those into 3 separate problems (or just ask one).

Im taking all of my mock sets without a time limit. Its just not representative and there isnt any reason to stress about it. Bring a watch and try to keep each set around 18 minutes (under for stuff like ethics, over for QM, etc). I cant imagine youll be short on time unless you simply dont know how to solve the problems.

Focus on getting a topic done in 15Min i’d say, it’ll leave you 30min to check your answers at the end.

I’ve definitely spent the 300 hours ( and probably another 300 hours) and I’m still going forward. In eoc or simpler vignettes I can do OK. But if the final test turns out to be more about being able to sort large piles of data and large calculations quickly than the content, I expect to fail.