Safe to say readings with no end of chapter problems wont be tested??

What do you guys think. Im approaching reading 47 (emerging markets finance) and 48 (crics) and they seem very long, but dont have any end of chapter problems. I think my time would be better utilized downloading movies on limewire, uh, um, i mean studying other important topics.

That reading on BRICS sucks and I can’t see them testing anything on it specifically, but Behavioral Finance, as an example, doesn’t have end of chapter questions (at least I think it doesn’t) and you know that’s going to be tested.

DAMN, you burst my bubble abbefaria. I forgot about behavioural. But i cant see them doing a whole item set on behavioural, but rather part of a question. Like part of an ips question as to “Why” a certain investor says they are hesitant to international investments, etc. not a whole question on its own. im going to write off brics and skim through emerging.

IH8FSA Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > DAMN, you burst my bubble abbefaria. I forgot > about behavioural. > > But i cant see them doing a whole item set on > behavioural, but rather part of a question. > > Like part of an ips question as to “Why” a certain > investor says they are hesitant to international > investments, etc. > > not a whole question on its own. > > im going to write off brics and skim through > emerging. Emerging markets is very testable material …brics on the other hand not so much … I wd’nt be surpirse if we see a Question on market integration/liberalisation

Ive thought of this myself…BUT…do you guys remember ECON last year for L2…they tested all the new readings that didnt have any end of chapter questions…not a single question on parity relationships…a reading that did have end of chapter questions.

ok here’s my approach for NCEQRs (No Chapter End Question Readings)… I used CFAI books, read them twice. Took notes for the points that I found important, LOSs so to say. Some of them are boring and won’t be tested. But there’s a high probability that the readings like Merton article on pension assets will be tested, it’s just two LOSs c’mon. you can easily write off BRICS. You don’t even have to read if you read wsj ft and others on a daily or even weekly basis. But don’t do that for emerging market and liberalization readings. good luck!

i dont even know how you are supposed to study the BRICs stuff… i mean, it’s almost impossible to retain anything out of a chapter of random facts. uh, India has an underdeveloped education system and infractructure… hmmm… russia is corrupt… zzzzzzzzzzz. i bet there will be one question on the exam worth 3 points and it will be softball sized. remember the econ stuff last year? super easy. imo, it will be like that.

econ was a home run last year and russia is def corrupt (i m excluding russian ladies here)

Those Russina ladies provde a valued service in many parts fo the world :wink:

Emerging markets stuff and behavioral are definitely gonna be questioned, it’s just a matter of how many points it’ll be worth. Each IPS could have a behavioral section for a few point. There’s the heuristics/frame dependence stuff plus the forecasting traps material.

It’s safe to say there won’t be more than one or two questions on that those topics. I can’t confidently say that they won’t be tested at all.

Some of the readings make me think that they were put in there only to increase the volume of level3.

chintz Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > Some of the readings make me think that they were > put in there only to increase the volume of > level3. You said it perfectly. Just to justify 18 study sessions.

Yeah, BRICS is filler. i read it, but I’m not gonna kill myself over it.

I am using LOS for these chapters as Qs. For example: On the emerging market finance (Coincidently, I am going throught it now): They may ask you when the higher jump in asset prices occurs? Before an emerging economy integrates, but after it announces liberalization OR after it integrates with global economy? ANS (That’s my own reading): Before it integrates. Again on the emerging market finance: Which costs have higher impact on integration? Direct or indirect? ANS (Again my own reading): Indirect.

yes, it is before integration occurs because the local investors pile into the investments to get ahead of the capital inflows they expect from foreign (primarily institutional) investors (i.e., the lib announcement is made and prices increase, thus decreasing expected returns). not sure about the second one since i don’t remember, but it’s probably indirect due to asymmetrical information that disadvantages foreign investors. the direct costs are fairly high as well though since the local brokerage firms like to gouge foreign investors on the bid-ask spread, and because some emerging markets have a built in liquidity premium that raises the cost of trading.

I am going through this reading as well… I couldn’t locate the direct / indirect costs … can you please give a page reference in the CFAI book ? Thanks so much! abacus Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > I am using LOS for these chapters as Qs. For > example: > > On the emerging market finance (Coincidently, I am > going throught it now): They may ask you when the > higher jump in asset prices occurs? Before an > emerging economy integrates, but after it > announces liberalization OR after it integrates > with global economy? > > ANS (That’s my own reading): Before it > integrates. > > Again on the emerging market finance: Which costs > have higher impact on integration? Direct or > indirect? > > ANS (Again my own reading): Indirect.

3rd paragraph, section 2.2, Reading 47 that talks about measuring market integration and barriers to entry.