salary negotiations

Hi all, I wanted to seek some advice regarding salary negotiations. I got this job offer yesterday from a company where I interviewed few days back. The salary they offered me is less than what I am making currently as a consultant. But if I take into consideration bench time and variable rates/hr, etc then it comes around almost the same figure. I called up the HR guy today to discuss the offer and asked if they could give me 10 k increment in what they were offering. Even before I could explain my point as to why i thought i deserved 10k increase, the HR guy blatantly refused. He didnt even give me a chance to explain what I was trying to say. even if they gave me 5k + what they offered I would have been fine. But he blatantly refused so there was no scope left for negotiation. I am not sure what I should do next and how I should approach this issue. On one hand I think that I should accept what I am being offered because firstly the market is bad and secondly I am tired of consulting and want something more stable. On the other hand I feel like I am leaving money on the table by not being able to walk away in order to get what I want. I know this is a long post but any advice will be really appreciated. I really need some inputs. Thanks CFA_aspirant

Tough call. The unwillingness to listen and converse, even if the answer is no should tell you how much the company values you and how much it will listen to your needs in the future. If you accept, they will know it’s ok to treat you this way. In this job environment, consulting is actually a safer place than normal, so if you aren’t being treated just as disrespectfully at your current place and you aren’t making more at the new one, you should politely explain in a letter that you are very excited about the opportunity [to be treated like cr@p by them] but the compensation does not meet your requirements. You can specify what would meet your requirements or just leave it at that. Again, it’s the lack of a conversation that raises the red flag, more than the money itself.

You should not base your decision on the arrogance of 1 HR guy. give it another shot, maybe another call and then see if the attitude still remains the same.

thanks guys for the feedback. I spoke to him an hour back and I think I should write him an email as bchadwick suggested. Aquabu I was also thinking the same that I should not let the opportunity go just because of 1 stupid HR guy. Do you guys think I should copy the hiring manager as well on the email. I had the above conversation with the Technical Recruiter and when I told him about my requirement, I was expecting that he would say that he will talk to the hiring manager and let me know. But he refused right away. I am not even sure if he communicated what i said to the hiring manager or not. Do you think I should copy the hiring manager on the email?

It is worth a chat with the hiring manager. If you get the same treatment, then definitely bail. If the manager wants you bad enough, HR should negotiate a bit. I assumed that if the HR person was this way, he knew the manager didn’t care all that much, but that might not be a great assumption.

CFA-aspirant = where you located?

I don’t know how old you are. If you are only a couple of years into the job market then it might not be a bad idea to take the job even if it means less money, as long as you think this opportunity will prove more beneficial and is more relevant to what you want to see yourself doing in the future.

I am located in Nj and have around 7 yrs of experience.

CFA_aspirant Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > I am located in Nj and have around 7 yrs of > experience. Not worth it to take a pay cut. Try what bchadwick and others are recommending.

i sent him an email saying tht i wanted 10k increase. He replied saying tht he will have to find this out from his CEO. He also offered me some health insurance benefit which i dont care about because i have health insurance through my spouse’s company. Lets see wht happens next

If they know whats good for the company, they will agree. Don’t worry