Salary

What do you answer when an interviewer asks you what you currently make at your old job? Is it ok to say something higher? In my job, base salaries are about average but bonuses are very high but since the market sucks this year they will be way less than previous years. Just curious if anyone knows if they can confirm with your former employer what your salary was. thanks

use Search function

sya this: “I am expecting to make par with what a person of my aptitude, past work experience, and skill set, would make at this firm”

I don’t think it would hurt you one bit to inflate your previous salary a little. It’s not like they can call your employer and ask how much you were making.

Chuckrox8 Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > I don’t think it would hurt you one bit to inflate > your previous salary a little. It’s not like they > can call your employer and ask how much you were > making. This has been beat to death on the forum. If you lie about money from the get go, why should they trust you to work their client’s money?

I always state a range of total comp. The low end is usually my current salary and expected bonus. The high end is where I want to be or where I would be under very optimistic circumstances at the current firm. I might say something like, “I’ll make between $x and $y this year, depending on the bonus pool.” If they really push, I’ll give them my actual salary, but state that total comp could be $x to $x, again depending on bonus. What I have noticed through talking with companies lately is they like to get the salary question out of the way early. It saves everyone time. For example, a headhunter called me today and told me about what sounded like a great opportunity. We talked salary within the first 3 minutes and it was about 20% less than I’m making now. So, no need to move forward on that one…

ditchdigger2CFA Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > Chuckrox8 Wrote: > -------------------------------------------------- > ----- > > I don’t think it would hurt you one bit to > inflate > > your previous salary a little. It’s not like > they > > can call your employer and ask how much you > were > > making. > > > This has been beat to death on the forum. If you > lie about money from the get go, why should they > trust you to work their client’s money? It seems to be a common suggestion to just say/ask for “market”

Chuckrox8 Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > I don’t think it would hurt you one bit to inflate > your previous salary a little. It’s not like they > can call your employer and ask how much you were > making. I hope you’re being sarcastic. Salary is one of the very few things HR can (and usually does) verify with your old job. There is no issue w/ stating base=XXX, but a large part is in a performance bonus that ranges anywhere from XXX to XXX. But DO NOT LIE about a hard # like base. This is grounds for instant dismissal. It shows lack of integrity and any job that requires any sort of fiduciary duty cannot risk that. There was a guy at my firm who was fired after a month of good performance bc HR was doing their regular post-hire checks and learned he’s inflated his prior base by less than 10%. Don’t risk it.