Schewser/Elan/Stalla

I failed level 1 twice (band 10) both times and used Schewser both times. The second time around I studied the CFA books a lot more than Schewser. I plan on taking a different route this time around and was considering purchasing Elan guides as a lot of people seem to like them. I did like the Schewser quiz bank but do think there are too many calculation questions as compared the real exam. Has anyone had experienced with both? And what would you suggest.

Don’t mean to be rude, but may I ask why are you still pursuing the CFA exam?

Brk1yn, Ignore the unworthy comments. Please fail because of many reasons, and only the strong ones come back again. I have Elan, and I like their practice questions. I think it mimics CFA EOC much closer than Passmaster (not sure of Qn bank). Stalla also has questions with too many unnecessary calculations, though Passmaster drills you with concepts.

He/She’s pursuing it because of falling in band 10 both times… I would forever regret being that close and not finishing (at least lvl 1). I used Stalla… I read every page, every practice question (3,500) and every minute of lecture. Peter Olinto is absolutely fantastic… He honestly made watching lectures enjoyable. I felt like I probably learned the most by drilling the practice questions. Whether you get the question right or wrong the software does a pretty decent job of breaking down the answers. What I found helpful was knowing why a question was wrong. My only real complaint was the mock exam didn’t seem to be a great proxy for the type of questions I saw on the test. Things I’d do differently: 1- Reasearch my problems areas in the CFAI rather than going back through the Stalla program. 2- Do at least 5 mock exams (from different providers). I only wrote 2… both Stalla.

were your score bands similar on both times? Did you have particular weak area? If so, try tackling that section even more on attempt 3

cfa_bombay, explain to me what you wish to gain from asking such a ridiculously juvenile question? Thanks for all the input.

Feel for you bro. Best of luck next time! http://www.analystforum.com/phorums/read.php?11,1232224,1241132 I was very satisfied with my Elan experience and it has a 40% retaker discount. Iteracom asks a very good question though: which areas are you weak in? cfa_bombay: People can fail or several reasons:lack of time off work, lack of related background, personal circumstances… let’s not be too harsh ok?

Don’t give up. I highly recommend Stalla’s system with the video lectures by Peter Olinto. I found those to be extremely resourceful along with working the PassMaster. brk1yn Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > I failed level 1 twice (band 10) both times and > used Schewser both times. The second time around I > studied the CFA books a lot more than Schewser. > > I plan on taking a different route this time > around and was considering purchasing Elan guides > as a lot of people seem to like them. > > > > I did like the Schewser quiz bank but do think > there are too many calculation questions as > compared the real exam. > > Has anyone had experienced with both? And what > would you suggest.

Yeah. PO rocks. He makes FRA as interesting as it can get.

Brk1yn: That’s EXTREMELY unfortunate man. band 10… TWICE!!! Sheeesh!! Do keep going though! I suggest you get Elan’s Ultimate Pack with the retake discount. However, if you have a weak area then they allow you to purchase videos and readings for every topic area also so that could save you some money.