Schweser - Are They Too Concise To Pass L II

I’ve searched on this Q in the forums, and get too many diverse hits, so I’m just going to ask again: I am studying for L II using Schweser, and am VERY concerned that Schweser is now too concise and condensed. To those of you who have already passed L II and are familiar with the Schweser study guides, do you think Schweser is sufficient to pass the L II exam, or have they become too concise and consequently either omit important material or just inadequately explain certain topics? No point in using them if they are just going to prepare me to fail.

I read the CFAI material and used the Q bank. I only used the notes as a backup if I didn’t understand something thoroughly. I suggest doing the CFAI end of reading questions as well. Just my opinion.

I passed Levels I & II on the first attempt using only Schweser for everything but ethics and using only CFAI for ethics. I am using the same formula for Level III, we’ll see if it works. With that said, the PM section last year was not well covered by Schweser. Search the Level II forums (June 08 dates) for details.

Passed w/ highest score in all categories, except PM (50-70), using only Schweser. Found the PM coverage thin in Schweser, which I think hurt a little on the exam, as some of the more obscure topics were tested. And you can guarantee CFAI will test obscure topics every year. Important note - I (and many others) who used Schweser readings did in fact do the questions from the CFAI texts, especially in the month of May. They are simply more representative of what you will see on the real exam. So I guess if you factor those in, I kind of used both…just didn’t read from the CFAI texts. With that said, everyone learns differently. Some people require more voluminous reading to feel that they understand the material fully. CFAI certainly provide that!

I am sure you can pass with just Schweser but do you really want to risk the opportunity cost of waiting a year b/c you decided you were too smart for CFAI curriculum?

mpnoonan Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > I am sure you can pass with just Schweser but do > you really want to risk the opportunity cost of > waiting a year b/c you decided you were too smart > for CFAI curriculum? I think the risk is more getting bogged down in the CFAI curriculum. Schweser notes are focused and address the LOS efficiently.

bhill020 Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > mpnoonan Wrote: > -------------------------------------------------- > ----- > > I am sure you can pass with just Schweser but > do > > you really want to risk the opportunity cost of > > waiting a year b/c you decided you were too > smart > > for CFAI curriculum? > > > I think the risk is more getting bogged down in > the CFAI curriculum. Schweser notes are focused > and address the LOS efficiently. Yea I understand that. I wanted to make the point that you COULD pass with only schweser but it is really worth it? I passed with mostly CFAI. I did have a schweser essential solutions but barely used it. I did this on Level 1&2 and am doing it now for 3.

I did Level 1 solely with Schweser and used Schweser for about 80% of the material for Level 2. I would make sure you go through the CFAI stuff and AT LEAST work the questions and read the sections that are routinely tested - Porter’s 5, etc.

Passed Level 1 with schweser only. Passed Level 2 with Schweser only (but reviewed derivatives and PM in CFA Curriculum) Passing Level 3 with Curriculum only. (Level 3 seems to qualitative for Schweser’s straight-to-the-point nature)

I assume you know the difference between study and practice. Except for the 2007 TB gaffe in L2, Schweser has consistently been adequate for STUDY. I used it in 2007 and 2008, and in any case the goof was not so significant as CFAI handing 2 item-sets (12 questions) to one topic (TB in 2007, BOP in 2008, … in 2009?)… For practice, I use the question bank and end-of-chapter questions. In particular, practicing the end-of-chapter question has been an ultimate test of study for me…

Passed Level I and II on first try using Schweser only. Just don’t flake out and not do all the practice exams they give you. Use CFAI text on topics you don’t feel like you have a strong grasp on.

i used 100% schweser. i will say, stuff that Schweser spends two sentences or 1 paragraph on i slikely to show up. note relative strength last year.

i have just registered for cfa level 2 a week back and have just started with shweser do you think i have any chances of passing

You’ll have to give it a very long short to pass…

I passed Level II in 2008 (first try) using only and exclusively Schweser. I can assure you I NEVER opened CFAI textbooks. NOT ONCE! You should though prepare to see on the exam 2 to 5 questions you never heard of. I can give you an example of that. In 2008, they asked a question in economics on the HHI and the number of equivalent firms (the invesre of the HHI) which was never covered in Schweser… I remeber that because of a candidate who was cursing about it after the exam :slight_smile: