Schweser Notes Vs CFA Curriculum Books

Is it sufficient to study primarily from Schweser notes and just refer back to the CFA Curriculum books when needed? For Level 1, I used this strategy, and passed each section.

If you have time, CFAI curriculum > Schweser. Being that you just started, I’m not sure CFAI curriculum is an option. Do yourself a favor and at least work the problems at the end of each reading in the CFAI text (if that particular reading has any) in conjunction with Schweser notes. There are a lot of threads that discuss this in great detail. Please use the search function for similar questions in the future. Best of luck.

Found em. Thanks!

*delete

I hate people that ask stupid questions like this. Funny thing is he’ll prob pass from reading secret sauce and I’ll fail and I’ve read every page of the CFAI curriculum

I am taking a class that uses Schweser, I have a friend that gave me the Stalla 2009 books and I have the CFAI material. After looking at all of them in most cases, for me I almost find the CFAI texts unreadable, it takes forever to get to the point. Nobody can remember every page they read from CFAI, do your best. When I get in a real bind and need a very in depth answer I read CFAI. My basic opinion as a simple example if you spend 300 hours in prep: The CFAI text is about 2X Schweser If it takes you 200 hours to read CFAI and 100 to read Schweser are you better off reading CFAI once and Schweser twice or Schweser once and doing questions for an additional 100 hours. I may be wrong but I pick the efficient answer I will find the answer in June, actually 60 days after June. Good luck.

Thanks guys

cpepin said it best: “It takes forever to get to the point.” The CFAI material is great if you’ve got time to sit down and read 6 college text books. If you want to know the meat of what you are supposed to know, get the study materials. PS if you’re already in the business of finance, you probably know most of the fluff that’s in the CFAI material…your best bet is to stick to the required information that you don’t already know, or need to brush up on.

I don’t know, cgeorgan. For L1, I think a lot of the minutiae from the CFAI texts were necessary to pass, and weren’t covered well in the Schwesser texts. Of course, this is for some subjects more than others. Like quant was very concept driven, and Econ and FSA were driven heavily by the granularity of the CFAI text. Just my 2c.

Hank Scorpio Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > I don’t know, cgeorgan. For L1, I think a lot of > the minutiae from the CFAI texts were necessary to > pass, and weren’t covered well in the Schwesser > texts. Of course, this is for some subjects more > than others. Like quant was very concept driven, > and Econ and FSA were driven heavily by the > granularity of the CFAI text. Just my 2c. think its all subjective - nailed level 1 (greater than 70% on all parts, except portfolio management) and i probably spent no more than 10 hours total with the CFAI texts