Schweser On A Budget

I am waiting for a response from the CFA Society of Colorado on whether or not I got the scholarship to significantly reduce my costs for doing the CFA. If I do not get the scholarship, it’ll obviously be more money for enrollment and registration for Level I for June 2008 and I’ll have use the CFAI materials (since they’re included in the exam fee). In addition, on a budget, what would be a good compliment/necessity for Schwesser materials: Study Notes Pack, Secret Sauce, Flashcards, or anything else you think would be extremely beneficial on a budget, if I am unable to buy one of the “Schweser Packages.” Thank you, Greg

I took level one this past December. The only things I used besides the CFAI books were the Schweser QBank and Secret Sauce. I would recommend both.

I am trying to do the same thing here in Las Vegas. Good Luck, Jeannie

MOTO376: the QBank and Secret Sauce total $448. Is it worth it to spend the additional $131 (Essential Package = $579) to get V1 and V2 Practice Exams, LOS Cards, Schweser’s QuickSheet, and Study Notes?

Wow. Prices must have gone up. I guess it probably would be worth it to with the whole package. I here their study notes are great and I think some type of question bank is a must. Hopefully you’ll get more feedback as I didn’t actually use their study notes. If I do have to retake in June, I will probably be purchasing that package. I do not want to read through the CFAI texts again.

I heard someone say the other day it wasn’t worth it to buy a Schweser Package because that meant more reading and more time to study that they didn’t have. I’m going to step out and say that was a wrong assumption??? I think you need something that is a good compliment to the CFAI material and Schweser appears to be it. It’s just a matter of which material(s) are a good compliment without paying extra for stuff that you necessarily don’t need…

soxboys21 wrote: MOTO376: the QBank and Secret Sauce total $448. Is it worth it to spend the additional $131 (Essential Package = $579) to get V1 and V2 Practice Exams, LOS Cards, Schweser’s QuickSheet, and Study Notes ======== IMO > YES!

Hank0414x: What was the most beneficial tool(s) for studying in the Essential Package?

I got the Essential Package for the Dec '07 exam. The study notes are a definite must. They are about 1/3 of the CFAI texts and hit on all the LOS without all the fluff. I used those most in my preparation. The QBank was also very helpful for day to day reinforcement, however, those questions are not indicative of what the CFA exam will look like. The Schweser practice exams are also not indicative of how the exam will look, but will help you focus on your problem areas. The sample exams from the CFA website will give you the best indication of the kinds of problems you will see on the exam. I would highly suggest purchasing the Essential Package along with reading the CFAI texts (provided you have the time). Make sure to purchase at least one online sample exam from the institute so you can see the question structure.

Prossetti wrote: >“I got the Essential Package for the Dec '07 exam. The study notes are a definite must. >They are about 1/3 of the CFAI texts and hit on all the LOS without all the fluff. I used >those most in my preparation. The QBank was also very helpful for day to day >reinforcement, however, those questions are not indicative of what the CFA exam will >look like. The Schweser practice exams are also not indicative of how the exam will look, >but will help you focus on your problem areas. The sample exams from the CFA website >will give you the best indication of the kinds of problems you will see on the exam. I >would highly suggest purchasing the Essential Package along with reading the CFAI >texts (provided you have the time). Make sure to purchase at least one online sample >exam from the institute so you can see the question structure.” ======= my sentiments exactly :slight_smile: