Schweser Qbank

Hello all, I’m set to take the level 1 in December and I was wondering exactly how useful the qbank is and where I can pick one up other than directly through Kaplan. Up until now I’ve just been reading the curriculum and taking notes and I plan on going through sample questions during the last couple of weeks. I only ask because the price is kind of steep and I don’t want to take the plunge only to find out that it’s just marginally helpful. Any advice is greatly appreciated!

Oh and sorry if this is redundant (I tried using the search function) but how does the Scheweser qbank compare with the sample questions in the Elan package? Elan is a little cheaper and I hear great things about them. Thanks.

I have similar question. Can anyone here compare quality of practice questions from “Schweser, Stalla, Elan” Schweser seems to be the most expensive one and Elan the cheapest.

Elan’s 2000 question package is a first-time thing, is has not been released yet, so no one can say anything about that. Only you can say what works best for you. It depends on your background, time and budget constraints. What I suggest is to look through the websites - their ads are on analystforum’s front page, so you won’t even have to look for them - and decide for yourself. I LOVED Elan, but I used Schweser as well and it was ok. If you know it inside out, any study material will do. Elan’s questions will be released in August and they are not expensive, as I said before, take a look at the websites, click ‘products’ and you will know everything you need to know in about 15 minutes. Here are some links I got from the search function, I think the subject won’t be discussed again but there is enough info here: Prep providers in general, read beatthecfa’s advice - it’s the first post http://www.analystforum.com/phorums/read.php?11,1091601,1092008#msg-1092008 Last December’s post-exam opinions about study providers: http://www.analystforum.com/phorums/read.php?11,1089760,page=1 Elan Guides: http://www.analystforum.com/phorums/read.php?11,1107113,1128137#msg-1128137

I saw Schweser Qbank on Ebay for $20.

Do you get the Elan questions if you already have the Dec10 ultimate prep pack or do you have to buy them stand alone?

They are included if you purchased the Ultimate Pack recently. I bought it quite a while ago and they didn’t have plans to offer practice questions back then. They gave me a discount to purchase them separately. Just email them and ask.

my opinion, and what Ive read, is as follows: I am currently studying for level I as well. Seeing as Im almost done the curriculum I have started doing questions from the qbank as practice. I find to get the most value out of the qbank you should make practice exams and use only the advanced level questions. basically the qbank has 3 types of question sets: LOs, reading and exam. they increase in difficulty as you broaden your scope. ex - the LOs questions will all pertain to one LOs, not too hard to master, the reading questions - pertain to a reading but the exams can be weighted either to the CFA standards or equally among topics. I have heard the advanced exams from qbank are fairly accurate at describing what the CFA exam is actually like - I’ve read here that in fact some of their advanced questions are harder than the actual exam - makes sense since the actual test will probably have a mix of all levels of questions. now of course you will get mixed opinions. people that studied a lot and were really prepared I think will recommend the qbank, those that didnt will probably not like it, lol. I think the qbank/schweser is great for reviewing topics you may need some fine tuning in - but nothing can replace the actual CFA curriculum… I also recommend you leave at least 6 weeks for practice questions and fine tuning.

"I have heard the advanced exams from qbank are fairly accurate at describing what the CFA exam is actually like " I strongly disagree. I used the QBank for the June exam. It is really good for practice but a good reflection of the type of questions on the actual exam it definitely is not!

SeeEfAye Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > "I have heard the advanced exams from qbank are > fairly accurate at describing what the CFA exam is > actually like " > > I strongly disagree. I used the QBank for the June > exam. It is really good for practice but a good > reflection of the type of questions on the actual > exam it definitely is not! what about in terms of concepts? how would the actual exam questions differ? the way they are worded, in terms of actual content covered in the practice questions? to me it seems its 50/50 with people who like the qbank. but I dont see how, for example, calculating and F test can differ between the qbank and actual exam.

Hey Andreea. Been a while eh? How’s it going? I’m glad you’re encouraging the use of the search function! Andreea_Mn Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > Elan’s 2000 question package is a first-time > thing, is has not been released yet, so no one can > say anything about that. > > Only you can say what works best for you. It > depends on your background, time and budget > constraints. What I suggest is to look through the > websites - their ads are on analystforum’s front > page, so you won’t even have to look for them - > and decide for yourself. > > I LOVED Elan, but I used Schweser as well and it > was ok. If you know it inside out, any study > material will do. Elan’s questions will be > released in August and they are not expensive, as > I said before, take a look at the websites, click > ‘products’ and you will know everything you need > to know in about 15 minutes. > > Here are some links I got from the search > function, I think the subject won’t be discussed > again but there is enough info here: > > Prep providers in general, read beatthecfa’s > advice - it’s the first post > http://www.analystforum.com/phorums/read.php?11,10 > 91601,1092008#msg-1092008 > > Last December’s post-exam opinions about study > providers: > http://www.analystforum.com/phorums/read.php?11,10 > 89760,page=1 > > Elan Guides: > http://www.analystforum.com/phorums/read.php?11,11 > 07113,1128137#msg-1128137

beatthecfa Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > Hey Andreea. Been a while eh? How’s it going? Hey! It’s going great actually, thanks for asking. How have you been? I wrote that because I think that if the subject has been discussed before, using the search function will provide a lot more information than starting a new post. @ BayStreet: I suggest you try Elan’s 2000 practice questions, I’ve seen them and I think they are a really good choice. They were not out for when I took the exam so I haven’t solved any but from what I’ve skimmed through they’re the closest you can get. The exam is really qualitative, you’ve probably read that somewhere on AF, I think many people on the forum will not give out more details because we do not know what we can or can not post without getting in trouble. Just my 2 cents.