Schweser seems kind of lazy at level 3

I’m of the opinion that Schweser puts progressively less effort into its products as you advance in level. What I mean is that they are less selective about what information is required at level 3 in order to pass. Some of the chapters simply recommend memorizing all the formulas for example – it’s not a helpful study aid if it simply repeats what is in the source material without insight on the relative importance for passing the exam. moreover, I’ve looked at the level three practice exams created by Schweser from past years. They’re the same (so far!) this year as what was produced for 2009. Given that there have been significant changes in the GIPS, for example, I expected to see something more tailored to the recent source material. Thirdly, I’ve found many small typos in the level three schweser books. Stupid stuff too, like writing GIPs instead of GIPS (note the capitalization) within the compliance statements. Finally, I’m really disappointed with the quality of the Qbank online. I understand that it’s not going to have as much material as level 1, but the quality of the questions is pretty low compared to level 2. And, I’m a person that likes to over prepare. I would have appreciated a lot more examples provided online. That’s not to say that the CFAI material is perfect. They make some slight of hand calculations that are not academically robust, for instance in the calculation of cash and carry arbitrage. Wow that turned out longer than i expected.

Very informational. We all will pass before Schweser fix all those problems.:slight_smile:

I hope the GIPS vs GIPs error didn’t send you in a tailspin. :wink: Schweser is not to be used in isolation. It’s supposed to be a suppliment to the CFAI readings. Although I mostly use the required readings as a suppliment to the Schweser material.

Regarding the GIPS v GIPs thing, it did put me in a tailspin. I ended up having a back and forth conversation with Schweser via their email utility. Right, I wouldn’t recommend relying on Schweser alone. But I should not that overall I do find their products to be very useful because they provide some additional context. I just would have liked something a little more insightful and more fleshed out.

lol @ anyone trusting schweser at level 3 …i did and got raped last year

Can we trust Schweser for afternoon session?

look here is my opinion …schweser leaves out some topics which may or may not be tested on d day…cfai reading material is a pain but i think its worth it …i did schweser last year and found out on the exam day that i didnt understand the material as well as i thought i did ( overconfidence bias) …now some did solely schweser and passed comfie so it really is ur call …

Did you also do the end of chapter questions last year?

pimpineasy Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > look here is my opinion …schweser leaves out > some topics which may or may not be tested I disagree. If I could bring SchweserNotes into the exam room, I’d expect to score 90%++ on the exam. RoastBeef Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > … I’m really disappointed with the quality > of the Qbank online. I understand that it’s not > going to have as much material as level 1, but the > quality of the questions is pretty low compared to Agreed, Qbank isn’t as valuable at L3 as it was at L1. For L3, you really need to put pen to paper and work through problems. Right now I’m going through the Schweser L3 Practice Exams books. It’s not as much fun as the computerized format of Qbank, but I’m feeling more confident about IPS etc questions.

There isn’t enough practice questions at the EOC. If Qbank cannot be used and assuming the Schweser Practice Exam is a gone case, where to find more question to practice?

Does Stalla have a good qbank?

The Schweser Practice Exam books seem ok. Though like the actual exam, you have to do them sitting at a desk with paper and a pen, which is kind of a drag. After those, I’m planning to move on to the 3 morning exams posted on the CFAI website. I don’t think any computerized test will fully prepare you for L3, because L3 isn’t purely multiple choice like L1 and L2 were.

Wendy Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > > I disagree. If I could bring SchweserNotes into > the exam room, I’d expect to score 90%++ on the > exam. > . Great point.

thepinkman Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > Wendy Wrote: > -------------------------------------------------- > ----- > > > > I disagree. If I could bring SchweserNotes > into > > the exam room, I’d expect to score 90%++ on the > > exam. > > > . > > Great point. no, tremendous point!!

Agree with Wendy, the pinkman and pimpineasy!

i disagree with castle for agreeing with me

pimpineasy Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > thepinkman Wrote: > -------------------------------------------------- > ----- > > Wendy Wrote: > > > -------------------------------------------------- > > > ----- > > > > > > I disagree. If I could bring SchweserNotes > > into > > > the exam room, I’d expect to score 90%++ on > the > > > exam. > > > > > . > > > > Great point. > > > > no, tremendous point!! No, I think you’d run into time constraints looking everything up.

> Agreed, Qbank isn’t as valuable at L3 as it was at > L1. For L3, you really need to put pen to paper > and work through problems. > > Right now I’m going through the Schweser L3 > Practice Exams books. It’s not as much fun as the > computerized format of Qbank, but I’m feeling more > confident about IPS etc questions. Set the difficulty level to intermediate and advanced, there are some decent questions which pop up in the sch question bank. Just did Alt Inv and Fixed Income with these settings…questions were not bad.

Yes, L3 Qbank has its uses. My point was that for L1, doing Qbank alone was sufficient practice for the exam. L1 Qbank gives a pretty good indication of how you will score on the actual exam. And Qbank’s bite-sized multiple-choice questions are a good representation of the L1 exam. For L3, I feel that doing only Qbank is not sufficient practice for the L3 exam.

hey you cant deny the mind maps book. give em credit for that.