Schweser Vol 1, Exam 3 scores?

Just got done with Schweser Vol 1, Exam 3 Morning session - did really well and scored above 75% even if I adjust for generous grading. Pretty straightforward and seen most of it before Afternoon session - Disaster with just 63%… Anyone else?

Finished it just now but haven’t scored it yet. I find the questions are really bad though. The style is far cry from the real exam. Just asking you to remember and list things (many time even unrelated to the presented to the scenario) I wonder if book 2 is the same thing. To me, Schweser study notes have done a really good job, but questions have traditionally been crap — both for after chapter concept checkers and practice exams. - sticky

Let me know what you scored…would love to get a comparison. With a 62% in PM session, I was below average of other test takers per Schweser sample set… Morning was not bad at all… But agree - the questions were not good but it does help sort through concepts. Hopefully, actual CFA exam is more straightforward.

sticky Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > Finished it just now but haven’t scored it yet. I > find the questions are really bad though. The > style is far cry from the real exam. Just asking > you to remember and list things (many time even > unrelated to the presented to the scenario) I > wonder if book 2 is the same thing. > > To me, Schweser study notes have done a really > good job, but questions have traditionally been > crap — both for after chapter concept checkers > and practice exams. > > - sticky Vol 3 PM was the most diffcult for me.

That true information ratio question is crap

I found the actual exam way easier last year than Schweser Book 1. I had 45 minutes left in each morning and afternoon session. I’m thinking of skipping Volume 2 and working on the online CFAI sample tests and the old exams.

pimp Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > I found the actual exam way easier last year than > Schweser Book 1. I had 45 minutes left in each > morning and afternoon session. I’m thinking of > skipping Volume 2 and working on the online CFAI > sample tests and the old exams. Volume 2 is not bad though…

How do you solve for true active risk? How does the algebra work?

ex: for Sycamore (hopefully this is the right problem) 4% = sqr root of :true active risk (squared) plus misfit active risk (squared) to get rid of the square root you square it: so now: 4%(squared) = true active risk squared + 2.8% squared—> 4%^2 = act risk^2 + 2.8%^2 solve for true active risk true active risk = 4^2-2.8^2 then take the sqr root of that to get 2.86

interesting that everyone finds exam 3 the most difficult - - i did too, by far; but i noticed that the avg score on exam 3 on schweser site was 67 vs 63 for 1 and 2; hopefully that’s just a sign that as people study more, scores get better (didn’t for me though - ugh)

Awesome, thanks SanFran!!

That question was actually easy - just needed to write down formulae - True return = total return - NPR Misfit return = NPR - benchmark Total active risk = sqr root (true activerisk ^2 + misfit risk ^2) Solve for true active risk and return Then, IR = true active return/true active risk Dont mind these questions since you get graded on calculation for each segment and easy to score if you know formula.

True, it’s totally normal Misfits are normally benched Thats how I remember this.

Inconel, Do you work for Special Metals?

:slight_smile: Used to be in the energy industry until i switched a few years back to finance. Most probably have it as a user name for sentimental reasons…:slight_smile:

Is C-276 one of the more common alloy used in the energy industry?

Mr.Good.Guy Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > True, it’s totally normal > Misfits are normally benched > > > Thats how I remember this. MGG - great way to remember this. Do you have any tips on how to memorize the global performance attribution formulas?

63 in the AM, 73 in the PM I bombed the true active portion, too. Did anyone notice that the answer key in the book says that 18.1’s answer is C, but when you check online, it’s D?

73 is pretty good for PM session in my books… Just got done with 2006 exam - was a breeze after Schweser tests…scored an 80%+…

65 in PM, very happy with it.