Schweser vs. CFAI Texts - Concise Differences

Does anyone have a concise list of specific topics that are covered in the texts that are not covered in the Schweser notes? It’s a lot of work to go through both to determine the differences so if someone has already done the legwork that might help everyone out. I’d like to study the Schweser notes and then just refer to the CFAI texts for important topics that Schweser doesn’t cover. Sounds like a lot of people got screwed a bit by this last year. Thanks for the help. Edit: I’ve seen lots of threads that touch on this subject but nothing with an actual list.

Schweser should cover all topics. I used both CFAI and Schweser for Level I and passed. I could have done the same with just Schweser and I probably would have failed if I just used CFAI.

I think Schweser does a decent job covering every topic to be tested since I don’t use CFAI materials AT ALL for my L1 preparation. All what I need to answer exam questions can be found in Schweser. Hence for those who don’t have too much time to spare, just stick on Schweser’s notes and refer to CFAI as and when you need clarification. You can’t have a concise difference list.

I just noticed while studying quant that Schweser skips Moving Average Time Series analysis. It is in the CFA Reading, yet i don’t see it as part of an LOS. Anyone else notice this?

These are the kinds of things I’m talking about. There’s no way Schweser covers everything that the CFAI texts do. They are 1/3 of the size. It’s just not possible. Wasn’t there a thread discussing how something was on the level 2 exam last year that wasn’t in the Schweser notes? Treynor-Black or something?

Yep, Treynor-Black. I took Level II last year, and Schweser did a poor job of covering it. It was an entire item set on the exam. I only used Schweser last year, and am not making that mistake again this year.

cdawg12 Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > I just noticed while studying quant that Schweser > skips Moving Average Time Series analysis. It is > in the CFA Reading, yet i don’t see it as part of > an LOS. Anyone else notice this? yes, i did. i would not bother with it as its definitely not in the LOS

I don’t have the schweser notes, but on the Economics section I notice that the Schweser videos cover GDP, GNP, and NNI. I didn’t see this in the CFAI texts? There was also a currency forward or discount premium formula that I didn’t see in the econ section in the CFAI texts?

I am using Stalla, seems to be good compromise between Schwasser and CFAI books

I have trouble using only Schweser, I’ll read it and it will give me an overview and details, but there are holes, the books fill in the holes nicely.

I agree with Packers31. I just compared all the LOS for the M&A sections. They look exactly the same. But the CFAI book have explanations and explames. Scheweser has 4 maybe 5 pages.