schweser vs stalla for L2

@ zizoubleu , thanks for the heads up. I really don’t have time to read all the CFAI texts, thus i purchased the schweser materials. I’ve heard from almost 99% of you that schweser is not enough, sighhh.

I did both CFAI and Shweser for L2 first go. This time round I’m leaning way more on Schweser with some additional help from CFAI. Last time CFAI was not efficient and ultimately brought me undone.

Took the Stalla Enhanced course with live lectures in 09, failed with a Band 10. I opted for a different route this time with the online lectures. I may be in a better mindset since I don’t have to commute an hour into Manhattan every Saturday, but we’ll see. I recommend CFAI for Ethics, from my experience both Stalla and Schweser weren’t detailed enough in these areas.

Excuse my naivete, am I reading correct when I see “failed band 10” means you failed the whole exam? I was not aware that having the lowest category score in a single area would auto-fail you.

Yes, if you have a band score, you failed. Band 10 is top decile of all failed scores. Band 1 is bottom decile of all failed scores. You do not need to pass every section to pass the exam.

Ah, thanks. I passed and the passing sheet shows three bands for each area. I was concerned that perhaps if you were in the bottom band in one area you automatically failed the whole exam - but it seems this is not the case. From your post I understand that the bands being discussed were comparative amongst those who failed. Thanks.

one area i think you absolutely need schweser (Even if you have to photocopy a friend’s) is derivatives. the CFAI derivatives reading is god-awful

i passed L1 using CFAI and only did Stalla Questions 2 weeks before exam. So my conclusion would be, CFAI text is so helpful but I really need practice questions to familarise with exam condition. For L2, Thinking of using CFAI and Stalla (unless more people recommend Schwesser instead).