Schweser's Idiotic Scoring System on Essay Tests

Has anyone noticed that on essay questions where you have to choose whether each statement is correct or incorrect and then justify your answer if incorrect, that Schweser’s minutes allowed for the question totals up to the point distribution for answering the question correctly? To illustrate: Schweser scoring key: 1 point for identifying “correct” or “incorrect” 2 points for explaining correctly an "incorrect answer If you had 5 statements to evaluate, and 4 of those statements were incorrect with 1 correct, then invariably the time allowed on the question would be 13 minutes (13 points) consisting of: 5 total points for stating correct or incorrect 8 total points for explaining the 4 incorrect statements Total points = 13 If, for example, 3 of those statements were incorrect and 2 correct, then the time allowed would invariably be 11 minutes (11 points): 5 total points for stating correct or incorrect 6 total points for explaining the 3 incorrect statements I’ve taken 3 essay tests from Schweser and on every single one of these types of questions, the minutes allowed gives away the correct balance of “incorrect” and “correct” statements. Wish CFAI was this easy to figure out.

That is why I didn’t grade myself on any of those AM tests.

Even if that’s the case, you can still figure out what the right balance of answers are (at least for the correct/incorrect part) just by looking at the minutes allowed. I just finished a question where there were 3 statements relating to GIPS and 7 minutes allowed, so of course I figured out that 2 of the statements must be false (1 pt for “false” and 2 points for explaining why) and 1 was true (1 pt only for “true”) before even answering the question.

farley013 Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > Even if that’s the case, you can still figure out > what the right balance of answers are (at least > for the correct/incorrect part) just by looking at > the minutes allowed. I just finished a question > where there were 3 statements relating to GIPS and > 7 minutes allowed, so of course I figured out that > 2 of the statements must be false (1 pt for > “false” and 2 points for explaining why) and 1 was > true (1 pt only for “true”) before even answering > the question. do you have a better scoring system in mind?

Yeah, if a question has 5 statements then give it 15 minutes/15 points no matter how many of the statements are correct or incorrect, which is what CFAI does.