Second pass started...new study strategy

I finished my first pass of the schweser notes(except Ethics) and did about 1/2 of the CFAI text problems along the way. My plan was the same as L1- get a good first pass review, knowing i won’t remember all of it, but leave enough time to re read everything again and solidify the concepts. however, there’s just so many more forumulas and concepts to remember…from derivatives, annoying AI formulas, Corporate finance formulas etc. derivatives i must say is the most challenging area bc of the sheer complexity and it’s 10% of the test! was wondering if you guys had any new strategies planned for tackling the second half of studying vs. what you did in L1?

my second pass plan (when I get there in a couple of weeks) is to go thru each section again, reading it more quickly and then hitting questions on that topic in Qbank, CFAI, in the Schweser book. Repeat for each section. Then when completed hammer on Qbank on all topics to see where you are still weak, focus on those, repeat…formulas I hope to memorize by printing off the sheets in the back of each Schweser book and just carrying them around, looking at them repeatedly… This may/may not work…

I also completed my first pass last week. Now i will practice with QBank, identify the areas which you find difficult to remember - review until I master them. For Level2, I will focus on those “Advanced” questions (Item set). Anyone with me on this?

I am on my 1st trip yet. For 2nd pass starting 1st week of April, I plan to do CFAI end of chapter questions and start doing Schweser QBank questions.

I am on my second pass now. My first pass was done using Schweser. For second pass, I am re-reading Schweser and comparing it to CFAI text, to see if there are any large discrepancies (like whole section missing in Schweser). I am also working on the CFAI text questions (I completed the Schweser concept checkers in first pass). My goal is to aim for depth in the second pass (and breadth in first pass). The final pass would be aim for memory retention and would be based on Secret Sauce, my personal notes, mock / practice exams and QBanks.

eltia Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > I am on my second pass now. My first pass was > done using Schweser. For second pass, I am > re-reading Schweser and comparing it to CFAI text, > to see if there are any large discrepancies (like > whole section missing in Schweser). I am also > working on the CFAI text questions (I completed > the Schweser concept checkers in first pass). My > goal is to aim for depth in the second pass (and > breadth in first pass). The final pass would be > aim for memory retention and would be based on > Secret Sauce, my personal notes, mock / practice > exams and QBanks. I just did a double take because this is what I’m doing word for word :slight_smile:

Good for you. I found that as my second pass progresses, my confident starts to build up. There are still like a few sections that are very stubborn (don’t get into my head somehow, like private equity and real estate materials in Alternate Investment). Hopefully they would get in by the final pass. :slight_smile:

eltia Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > I am on my second pass now. My first pass was > done using Schweser. For second pass, I am > re-reading Schweser and comparing it to CFAI text, > to see if there are any large discrepancies (like > whole section missing in Schweser). I am also > working on the CFAI text questions (I completed > the Schweser concept checkers in first pass). My > goal is to aim for depth in the second pass (and > breadth in first pass). The final pass would be > aim for memory retention and would be based on > Secret Sauce, my personal notes, mock / practice > exams and QBanks. Did you find any sections so far that schweser does not cover ?

Yes, some stuff stuff is missing from Econ in Schweser.

if you are talking about the asset market method - there are no LOSs covering that…

Ali, Sometimes I see that CFAI has lot of stuff that might be extra and LOS may not actually address that directly. This may happen because CFAI takes all the readings directly from the respective Textbooks. (Schweser only goes by LOS) It is really important to find out that part (in CFAI ) which LOS addresses and yet is missing in the Schweser. I think the time cost of finding that difference is going to be much higher…given that I started in Feb. Mostly I will only do 100% schweser this time around… [Will try to remember each and every detail in Schweser w/o missing even the minute things] If I fail, there will be lot of time to read CFAI curriculum for June’2010. :frowning:

starting pass 2 now. Took the Harris seminar on FSA last weekend, so I started there. going though now and doing 60 Q’s Qbank, all passmaster questions and all CFAI questions on eash SS. done with FSA and now on CF. will loop around and hit quant and Econ on the way back. Hope to have this done with 45-30 days to spare to bang practice exams and Qbank.

Yes, I found quite a bit of materials missing from Schweser (which is not surprising, Schweser is meant to be study notes), and these materials aren’t included as “optional reading” in the CFAI text. Besides the asset market method in econ section, you can also find quite a bit of missing materials in FI (e.g. capped floater valuation). PM also have a bit of materials missing.

Schweser doesn’t cover using bid-ask quotes for currencies and interest rates to calculate implied bid-ask quotes for currency forwards. There are several instances of such questions in the CFAI book.

Has anyone passed in the past with just using Schweser for L2? I remember people just using Schweser for L1 and passed.

nirjraina Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > Schweser doesn’t cover using bid-ask quotes for > currencies and interest rates to calculate implied > bid-ask quotes for currency forwards. There are > several instances of such questions in the CFAI > book. If you meant the section in econ, I believe Schweser did. I did the CFAI text questions for that section with help of the Schweser notes only.