Sell side job opening procedures...

Quick question. I work on the buyside covering telecoms for a top 15 shop. Therefore i have a pretty close working relationship with most of the street analysts in my space (conferences, analyst days, lunch meetings, phone calls to go over names etc). If I see a job listing for an assoicate under them, doing you think i should just apply through HR, or is it appropriate to call them up and ask about the position?

ops posted in wrong forum can somone move to genral discussion?

Why would you want to move from the buyside to the sellside when it seems that most of the people on this forum want to move in the opposite direction.

it’s not like i’m working at a interesting hedge fund, i work at a mutual that rides the bench quite a bit. I think someday covering less names but with more detail would be more interesting.

stay where you are in the uncertain times!

buy side —> sell side = not advisable sell side —> buy side = smart decision why? buy side has TONS more money than the sell side… the rest is you

preetchawla Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > buy side —> sell side = not advisable > > sell side —> buy side = smart decision > > why? > > buy side has TONS more money than the sell > side… > I repsectfully disagree. Although the big name hedgies certainly have tons of money, they are the exception, not the rule. My experience through others has been that you can make more on the sell side (your selling after all), but that most prefer the buy side because the quality of life is greater (your not selling, after all). Just my two cents after 15 years in the business.

http://www.iimagazine.com/RankingsUSEquity.aspx?src=http://www.iimagazinerankings.com/EquityCompensation/index.asp

I have no clue why people become I-Banker’s for life, a Portfolio manager on average makes tons more money than a MD, I’ll vouch for that… Sell-side is the best place to start your career and the buy side is the place you want to leverage the sell side experience and get in…If you speak to more people who have done this transition, the more you’ll see its true!

plyon Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > preetchawla Wrote: > -------------------------------------------------- > ----- > > buy side —> sell side = not advisable > > > > sell side —> buy side = smart decision > > > > why? > > > > buy side has TONS more money than the sell > > side… > > > > > I repsectfully disagree. Although the big name > hedgies certainly have tons of money, they are the > exception, not the rule. > > My experience through others has been that you can > make more on the sell side (your selling after > all), but that most prefer the buy side because > the quality of life is greater (your not selling, > after all). > > Just my two cents after 15 years in the business. I think i’m kind of the mindset of pylon here. Is there a ton of money in these hedgie jobs? sure, but not at the mutual funds. I can tell you that I will make roughly $20k more by switching at this point in my career. I agree with the quality of life thing but i’m a single guy in his 20’s, quality of life means going out on the weekends, not leaving work everyday at 5:30 to be home in time to have dinner with the wife and kids. Anyone actually want to answer my original question?

Agreed w/ Plyon. Having been on the sell side, probability of making more money is greater, however, the quality of life sucks.