Sell Side Salary & Bonus Thread: 2007

Kindly post sell side base and bonus for the year. Position: First year ER Associate BB, $ 130k base 100% bonus Thanks

Sharpin - what industry do you follow and what kind of experience do you have in either your industry or finance? Both your base and bonus seem out of line with what I have heard for first year ER associates, even in BB firms.

Same profile as the OP, and my base is a lot < with bonus unknown until beginning of Feb. With that base and bonus, I’m assuming you’re an industry vet like a formal cardiologist covering pharma?

I am not an industry vet at all; and not pharma either. You guys may be confused with the grad level entry, an equivalent to first year analyst in ibd; figures are for first year associate level in ibd equivalent terms. (I am a post mba first year). Anyways what is the typical bonus/base % at your firm/sector…average performer.

I’m in a similar position, but base a lot less…bonus will not be that high either. That is more like first year banking total comp. Not sure what company you are at, but those numbers are unusually high.

1st yr associates in IB out of school makes 95k salary with a sign on and stub bonus at year end. they dont get 130k salary

The salary definitely seems off to me. We (and most other shops, from what I understand) pay $95k base. Then again, the OP could be including the $40k signing (excluding the $10k relo) in that number.

sharpin, You must be a star performer or you probably had your CFA completed when you were 18 :-)) . Your numbers seem way too high. Is that the norm at ur firm or are u an exception ??

sharpin1008 Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > Kindly post sell side base and bonus for the year. > > Position: First year ER Associate BB, > $ 130k base > 100% bonus > > Thanks sharpin, the base you state is essentially VP-level at most places. what are your real numbers? maybe if you post some real numbers you might get some better feedback.

sharpin, What school did u get your MBA from ?

Do you *know* your bonus is 100% or are you assuming?

Position based out of Europe. The sign on is in excess of 40k(and is in addition to base, though i have no relocation bonus, so you could say base was 120k but this definately exclusive of sign on). All my batchmates had similar offers for base post grad. You guys are scaring me. I know my package is same as that my ibd friends are getting at least for base. Know well because i had an ibd offer. Now you guys are telling me this sounds unreal...which is scary in terms of reality of ER compensation. The bonus mentioned was a promised bonus for 2007 in my contract. Now ibd routinely gets 100-200% bonus and my expectation is 80% and above. Am i so dead wrong. Looks like from what you guys are talking. i am still a cfa candidate. What is this confusion?? Seriously are you saying the bonuses are less than 80% of base in ER?? numi Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- \> sharpin1008 Wrote: \> -------------------------------------------------- \> ----- \> \> Kindly post sell side base and bonus for the \> year. \> \> \> \> Position: First year ER Associate BB, \> \> 130k base > > 100% bonus > > > > Thanks > > > sharpin, the base you state is essentially > VP-level at most places. what are your real > numbers? maybe if you post some real numbers you > might get some better feedback.

I started in Jan last year, figures i am quoting are annualized. jax26 Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > 1st yr associates in IB out of school makes 95k > salary with a sign on and stub bonus at year end. > they dont get 130k salary

and you get paid in US$? I’m not sure what comp overseas was like a couple of years ago, but considering weakness of the US dollar, the all in comp could be right. I am assuming you are getting paid in Euros and calculating the US dollar equivalent (for some odd reason). I dont think a first year associate in equity research should ever be getting more than a 100% bonus. Also…just beacuse this is your first year as an associate at the bank doesnt automatically make you a “first year associate”.

Ok so let’s get this straight. On a comparable basis between NYC and Europe; 1) NYC hours in ER have generally been known to be longer 2) NYC pay is less according to this discussion, comparing post MBAs 3) a lot less when taking into account today’s exchange rate 4) and taking into consideration that Europe is known for having more vacation days, this lowers even further the intrinsic value of our salary…

I left as a 5 -yr associate a year ago. Granted, my firm was top 10ish (based in NYC) and known for underpaying, but my total comp was never that high. my base was about the same, but my bonus was less than half of that.

double post, sorry.

aic Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > and you get paid in US$? I’m not sure what comp > overseas was like a couple of years ago, but > considering weakness of the US dollar, the all in > comp could be right. I am assuming you are > getting paid in Euros and calculating the US > dollar equivalent (for some odd reason). I dont > think a first year associate in equity research > should ever be getting more than a 100% bonus. > > Also…just beacuse this is your first year as an > associate at the bank doesnt automatically make > you a “first year associate”. I am a first year associate (pre-mba, post undergrad) and received a bonus in excess of 100%. We are compensated the same as our investment banking analyst peers. At the associate level, bonuses start to show variance and at the highest levels research obviously makes significantly less than IBD. What he is saying is plausible given that he is likely not paid in USD and is just calculating the equivalent (I haven’t read the whole thread so my apologies if I am incorrect).

FIAnalyst – based on what you described, I believe your situation is only true at Lehman and UBS For the original poster, I can certainly validate that it’s possible to get your bonus to be 100% base; what I’m saying is that your base salary is considerably higher than what most of us are getting here in the states, and if you’re being truthful about it, more power to you. I’d love to see that kind of base here on a pre-VP level in the US, but unfortunately what I want isn’t always the same as what I actually get. As a follow-up though, how can the associate compensation structure in Europe be so grossly different from what colleagues are making in the US? Does that make any sense to anyone?

130k base + 130k bonus + 40k sign on = 300k over the next 12 months. That’s pretty crazy for a first year associate, even assuming approx 40k is due to a weak dollar. Makes me want to move to Europe :confused: