Sell Side Salary & Bonus Thread: 2007

And now it becomes a NYC/London thread instead of a bonus thread. Amazing…

stop complaining sharpin. things could be worse…you could be working in the US

This is a great thread–thoroughly entertaining, while going no where! A++

fight fight fight!

yea…I keep checking back every 20 mins to see if the battle continues. Where’s numi!!!

I hope you guys don’t work with currencies.

My job only requires about half a brain and the other half tends to get bored. Analyst forum is great because while half of my brain is working, the other half can peruse the posts. This thread has kept that half very occupied so Bravo to this thread.

I think the London/NYC thing is relevant though. I have seen many job postings there offering 65-70K GBP. So with the USD being half a poung the 130 figure could be true. as for the bonus… I have no idea since I am not in research. 100% would be nice though. I am with jg1996business though… this post is entertaining me on this boring Friday at work.

I’ve got a friend telling me that one of her buddies, straight out of undergrad (apparently he graduated at the top of his class) is earning 6 figures in Toronto. Not sure what he does, but I don’t buy it one bit. Apparently me doubting it makes me a jealous bastard! For real though, if anyone can do that out of undgrad, all the power to them. He’s also from BC and went to school there (either UBC or SFU) which also makes me doubt it since they’re not considered, at least by ontario’s standards, to be ivy league business schools. Thoughts?

SomewhatDamaged Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > I’ve got a friend telling me that one of her > buddies, straight out of undergrad (apparently he > graduated at the top of his class) is earning 6 > figures in Toronto. Not sure what he does, but I > don’t buy it one bit. Apparently me doubting it > makes me a jealous bastard! > > For real though, if anyone can do that out of > undgrad, all the power to them. > > He’s also from BC and went to school there (either > UBC or SFU) which also makes me doubt it since > they’re not considered, at least by ontario’s > standards, to be ivy league business schools. > > Thoughts? No clue what the Toronto market is like, but you can definitely make that kind of money at BB IB/ER/S&T out of undergrad in NYC

SomewhatDamaged Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > I’ve got a friend telling me that one of her > buddies, straight out of undergrad (apparently he > graduated at the top of his class) is earning 6 > figures in Toronto. Not sure what he does, but I > don’t buy it one bit. Apparently me doubting it > makes me a jealous bastard! > > For real though, if anyone can do that out of > undgrad, all the power to them. > > He’s also from BC and went to school there (either > UBC or SFU) which also makes me doubt it since > they’re not considered, at least by ontario’s > standards, to be ivy league business schools. > > Thoughts? From what I understand, the schools looked at by Canadian banks are McGill, Queens, York (I am not 100% on that one), U of T, MacM, Western and UBC. Can anyone confirm

All Canadian IB’s hit Mb too, my Graduating class had 5-6 hired in either TDot or CowTown plus summer positions. Usually ~70000 salary, bonus ~50% and a relocation package. There were actually a few postings last time I checked at school for Scotia and TD (associate and analyst postitions). The CommBanks also make the stop… Offering between 45-50, no definate bonus. How this ended up on this thread I have no idea.

you missed waterloo big time, a lot of them are in quant research or risk in fact goldman recruits at western and waterloo/laurier, i’m not aware of any other canadian schools they recruit at

Don’t forget about laurier…Laurier drops graduates into Scotia, National Bank, RBC bigtime. And Fidelity in Boston in their Canadian Equity research group (4 in the last 6 years i believe for only one position per year). As for canadian undergrads earning six figures in toronto, base plus bonus that is true.

CFA_Halifax Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > SomewhatDamaged Wrote: > -------------------------------------------------- > ----- > > I’ve got a friend telling me that one of her > > buddies, straight out of undergrad (apparently > he > > graduated at the top of his class) is earning 6 > > figures in Toronto. Not sure what he does, but > I > > don’t buy it one bit. Apparently me doubting it > > makes me a jealous bastard! > > > > For real though, if anyone can do that out of > > undgrad, all the power to them. > > > > He’s also from BC and went to school there > (either > > UBC or SFU) which also makes me doubt it since > > they’re not considered, at least by ontario’s > > standards, to be ivy league business schools. > > > > Thoughts? > > > From what I understand, the schools looked at by > Canadian banks are McGill, Queens, York (I am not > 100% on that one), U of T, MacM, Western and UBC. > Can anyone confirm I’m highly skeptical about your friend… especially out of undergrad. I’m in the TO market and undergrads are normally hired as analysts at anywhere b/w 45 to 65k plus bonus, depending on where you land. MBA grads start out anywhere from 70/75k + bonus and depending on experience can go much higher (i.e. IB associate with IB experience can start in the six figures without too much difficulty). While it’s not impossible that your friend did this, it’s highly unlikely… could be nepotism… it’s much less common these days, but still fairly rampant.

Read my / strikershanks posts; fresh grads picked up by CDN IB’s (Scotia/RBC/TD) from undergrad programs start at a ballbark of 70 with 50% bonus. Summer students get the same, just based on the 4ish months they work. Several of my classmates have confirmed this. So with the bonus 105. First year. Or about 20 grand for a summer W/O an undergrad.

VeryCool Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > you missed waterloo big time, a lot of them are in > quant research or risk —more are working in some capacities in high tech, in fact, I know quite a few masters/phd grads from waterloo (from math/engineering), only 1 is planning to do anything related to finance, even then, I think he’s looking at the IT departments of finance firms…but I can believe this since quant research target mostly phds from math/physcis background, and waterloo has a ton of them > > in fact goldman recruits at western and > waterloo/laurier, i’m not aware of any other > canadian schools they recruit at —seriously? I wasn’t aware of any while I was there, I thought they would hold some open sessions/seminar just to garner more attention…are these exclusive to certain programs?

ok, this thread got derailed once again and now we’re talking about the canadian market. Can we please get back to the original matter? to recap: Sharpin: I’m making x amount of money. How about everyone else? Oh…is everyone not making as much as me? Numi: by the power of greyskull, I am the master of the universe and the squabble of false information that comes out of your mouth is nothing more than noise pollution which I intend to dispel. That’s where we left off so please resume. fight fight fight!

haha…nice…