Series 7 v.s. Canadian Securities Course

A friend of mine in the U.S. is taking his Series 7. Another friend of mine in here Canada is taking the Canadian Securities Course. I’m just curious, which one is more comprehensive and relevant to their respective uses in the industry; and which exam is more difficult? O/T: A little about me: I recently passed my Level 1 CFA exam in December and will hopefully be taking my Level 2 in June.

If you can pass any of the CFA exams, you should have no trouble with the Series 7. I am not familiar with the Canadian version.

Nobody knows about the Canadian Securities Course?

Don’t know much about the Series 7 but heard that it’s equivalent to the Can Securities Course , which is not is not difficult at all. The CSC is the minimum level of knowledge and is required for IAs who want to sell financial products (mutual funds excluded as there is another course which is even easier if you want to push mutual funds only). IAs are required to pass the CSC as well as another exam which tests ethics, once both exams are passed they are able to register and sell stuff. The CSC does not even come close to the CFA exams, so from what I hear S7 = the CSC. Hope this helps.

tj2001 Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > Nobody knows about the Canadian Securities Course? Canadiens are generally inferior to Americans, so the test will be a dumbed down version of the 7 to account for their nationality deficiency.

jcole21 Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > tj2001 Wrote: > -------------------------------------------------- > ----- > > Nobody knows about the Canadian Securities > Course? > > > Canadiens are generally inferior to Americans, so > the test will be a dumbed down version of the 7 to > account for their nationality deficiency. Uh, no.

I am taking Canadian securities course. It is not that difficult but shouldn’t be taken lightly. I have passed CFA level 1 and have MBA as well but I had to spend 1 month to pass first part of CSC and now studying for another month for second part of CSC. Its a 950 pages textbook. It is not that difficult but if you take the exam without any prior study and just rely on you knowledge of CFA level 1 your will certainly fail.

I have taken the CSC, and passed level 1 and 2 of the CFA. The CSC is a joke. I studied for like 4 or 5 days, and passed… I did my undergrad in finance, and the CSC was basically a review of 2nd year concepts. With that in mind, i went into it knowing that I only needed 60% to guarantee a pass. I did not try to “pass with flying colours”. I just wanted to get it over with, got somthing like a 66, and went on my way.

I’m a Canadian (for trading purposes) that took the 7 and at some point will probably need the CSC, from what I hear they’re about the same and neither is that difficult.

Another point, the pass rates (if they haven’t changed) for the 7 is 70%+ and I remember about 30% failed, so quite a few people do underestimate the exam.