Series 7

The executives here list on their bios, “…have passed the Series 24/7 Exams etc.” They do not say they registered with the licenses, only that they have passed the exams. So, one can still maintain credibility by stating this on a resume.

Wow, people have their Series exams on their biography websites? Wow, I felt it was pointless to even have them listed on my resume, so I deleted that line entirely. I guess it’s not as bad as saying you’re a CFA Level I Candidate, though, since you actually do have to put in the time to pass the Series exams…

how much is the cost of registration??

is series 7 even necessary for someone who wants to work in asset management doing either portfolio management or research? or is it more for brokers/people who work directly with institutional clients? also, are there any prerequisites? (6? 63?)

no prereqs. I actually had to give mine up when I started working in the port mgmt arena. It is not always the case by any means, more company specific than anything…luckily I dont plan on needing it ever again and if so I guess I can block a weekend for it.

1. you have to be sponsored by a firm to take the exam- I have never heard of anyone having to pay this registration fee. 2. 7 is basic- no pre-rec’s. It is however a pre-rec for many other licensing exams. 3. I don’t *think* you need it to deal w/ institutional “accredited” investors. I might be wrong here. edit- per wiki “permit an agent to communicate with RETAIL investors”

If the firm that you work for is a registered broker/dealer, you ave to have the 7. I’m at a small ib, and had to get it, even though it has nothing to do w/my job.

steph96 Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > If the firm that you work for is a registered > broker/dealer, you ave to have the 7. I’m at a > small ib, and had to get it, even though it has > nothing to do w/my job. thats a requirement specific to your firm. My firm is a reg’d BD and there are plenty of ppl w/out the license. It depends on your role and interaction w/ the public. When I worked at a institutional money manager, ppl coming in from retail shops were always ticked off bc the firm would not sponsor their licenses (meaning they would expire).

hey akanska, when i said institutional before i meant to say retail. my mistake. so yes, it looks like its geared more towards broker/deal firms who work with retail clients. in any case, since the exam is so much easier than the cfa, everyone in here considering it should probably wait until they are told they actually need it since they can pass rather easily.

itstoohot Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > how much is the cost of registration?? It’s $250 for the Series 7. Your firm should cover the out of pocket. http://www.finra.org/RegulatorySystems/CRD/FilingGuidance/p005237?ssSourceNodeId=408