Settle an argument - Best NES game ever

I never ever played Metroid as a kid. Now I can play on the Switch.
Is it worth playing as a 40 year-old? On a 35 year-old system?
Or should I just stick to Mario and Zelda?

I came here to watch you all have a meltdown about the death of democracy in the US but this topic is much more interesting.

The correct answer is Super Mario Brothers 3. 1 was too nascent, in 2 you spent too much time fucking about in plant pots and up beanstocks and that kind of bollocks and then 3 nailed it.

I never actually played Zelda other than that absolute banger on the N64, worth checking out the old ones?

Duck Hunt was banter. firstly for the game but also because it sounds like something else which was fuckin hilarious back in the day.

Yes, since the NES emulator is free with the Switch plan, it’s free to play, and if you’re still into side scrollers, I remember it being an absolute blast when I was a kid.

That said, you ever had a long time since you’ve been to a certain restaurant? Like decades? And then you find yourself driving upstate for something else, and you tell the wife, hey! Let’s stop at this old place for lunch!

And you have 10 minutes of nostalgia waiting for the food and regaling the wife with stories of how you and the boys used to stop at this place after going out, because, you know, they had the BEST fuggin’ late night breakfast, and really, the wife pretends to be entertained, but what the heck, at least you are entertaining yourself?

And then the food comes. And you are salivating. You take a bite…and it tastes like total sh!t.

You mumble something to the old lady about how it must be under new management, or they got a new food service supplier, or some other nonsense that saves face, since you’ve hyped up a completely underwhelming experience. Then you hastily call the waitress over for the check and promptly retreat to the car.

So I mean, it’s possible that Metroid could be like that if I played it today.