SF vs NYC

Best Places to get these types of jobs? Blmbrg, CFAwebsite, networking, Please post pros/cons for entry level research analyst jobs between these two cities…Also please post your favorite places to live between the two cities. I appreciate the feedback

i can see that you’ve thought about this question a lot on your own already

SF, hands down. But this totally depends on the person…they’re both great cities. Personally, I could never live in NY. I go there enough on business to get my fill of the city. I can leave my apartment in Russian Hill and be surfing in 20 mins or be tasting wine in Napa within 45. To me, SF offers everything that comes with a large city and then you can also easily escape to more rural areas for weekend getaway’s (Tahoe for Skiing, Carmel, Napa, Yosemite, etc.). They are very different cities and you’ve just got to decide which culture you like best (East or West). I’m not in ER, but if I was, the con for being on the west coast are the hours. You work east coast market hours. When you’re young, you really can’t go wrong with either city. If you do well in one of them, you shouldn’t have too much of a problem finding a job in the other if you so choose.

i still think this is a tough question to answer considering we know nothing about the author and his preferences

thanks for the posts, I was looking for insight from people that have been to both places more than myself. I have been to NYC twice and love it. I have only been to SF once and enjoyed that was well. I currently live in AZ and am looking to move to one of these places in the summer once MBA program is over. I guess my initial thought was NYC was for me as I love the big city atmosphere and understand the opportunities it provides for career advancement, but now am also considering SF due to my recent pleasant trip there. I am trying to learn as much as i can about both cities and get quality feedback before I get to serious about the move Thanks for suggestions.

Question for the SFers with kids…I lived there for 8 years and worked non-market hours but in NY now…if you have a family in SF and are in ER, can you see your kids more often than not since you are on the clock so early or are you doing company visits/calls/entertaining in the afternoon/evening anyway? To the original author: SF can’t be beat if you want/need non-city activities (as mentioned above) like beach, hiking, skiing, etc. as they are all a very quick trip (you can absolutely escape the city feel in less the 20 mins in any direction)…NYC if you want a pure city experience. Personally, I liked the former…feels more like a big small city (if that makes sense) but NYC is the center of all things finance in the US.

Cons: SF - cold in summer; earthquake is coming. NY - cold in winter; al qaeda is coming.

That’s one of the best responses I’ve seen. I also hear that SF has a bar called the Sausage Factory or Meat Packer…kinda fruity for me.

bchadwick Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > Cons: > > SF - cold in summer; earthquake is coming. > > NY - cold in winter; al qaeda is coming. LOL

How does surfing in LA compare to surfing in SF?

I don’t have any idea what this thread is about. SF was 5-11 and eliminated by about Halloween. It’s NYC vs TB and Eli has this one.

JoeyDVivre Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > I don’t have any idea what this thread is about. > SF was 5-11 and eliminated by about Halloween. > It’s NYC vs TB and Eli has this one. I hope you are right. Eli didn’t look too bad against the Pats last week.

bchadwick Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > Cons: > > SF - cold in summer; earthquake is coming. > > NY - cold in winter; al qaeda is coming. LMFAO