Short forms in long answers

Hi All, When writing descriptive answers, can I use short form notations such as up/ down arrows for increase/decrease in a variable ( the way we take notes in classes) , in order to save time on the exam? In general, does CFA allow that kind of writing on the exam or we have to write full sentences in our answers? Thanks, MG.

I’m pretty sure you can abbreviate and write bullet points as much as you want, as long as you are very clear about what you’re doing. Labeling answers is important. So, the kind of things you are talking about are probably allowed as long as the meaning is clear… remember that what is obvious to you might not be obvious to someone else, though, which is why full sentences are safer.

from what i’ve read they prefer anything that allows them to grade the essay’s faster. less words is better than more.

yep - and you know who grades essay questions the fastest?

Thanks folks. bchadwick, I did not understand what you meant by ‘Labeling answers’. Thanks, MG.

Related question, Should we provide a calculation if it DOES NOT ask for one? I’d prefer not to since I could mess up the figures. I noticed some answer keys providing a calculation when the question didn’t ask for one.

No chance - that’s just asking for trouble

I agree with JoeyDVivre about not providing a calc if its not asked, it does spell trouble. BUT (and I think this is a huge but)…some answers, as UAECFA stated, do provide calcs when it was not asked in the question. To make matters worse- I’ve noticed that alot of the LOSs containing the word “DEMONSTRATE” are actually “CALCULATE” type LOSs. So I think if you’re asked to demonstrate a concept (especially, within the fixed income arena) you may have to, by default, throw a small calc or two in there.

Malhar Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > Thanks folks. > > bchadwick, I did not understand what you meant by > ‘Labeling answers’. > > Thanks, > > MG. If you have some calculations, and there are intermediate steps, you want to make sure that you label which one is the final answer (and probably good to label intermediate answers, for yourself and so the grader can tell what you’re doing to get to the final answer). That’s what I meant. Hey, just wondering: is Malhar a verb?

bchadwick Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > Malhar Wrote: > -------------------------------------------------- > ----- > > Thanks folks. > > > > bchadwick, I did not understand what you meant > by > > ‘Labeling answers’. > > > > Thanks, > > > > MG. > > > If you have some calculations, and there are > intermediate steps, you want to make sure that you > label which one is the final answer (and probably > good to label intermediate answers, for yourself > and so the grader can tell what you’re doing to > get to the final answer). That’s what I meant. > > Hey, just wondering: is Malhar a verb? http://www.babynamesworld.com/meaning_of_Malhar.html http://www.tribuneindia.com/2004/20040813/cth2.htm Later, Dr Saubhagya Vardhan explained the meaning of Malhar saying that it implied “clearance of dirt from the face of earth”. “Since rains wash away all muck and restore the earth in its beautiful form. It means ridding (haar) the earth of its dirt (mal),” he said.

That’s why I named my first child the English translation of ‘malhar’. Little StripMine is all grown-up now.