Shotgun wedding, anyone?

“At the end of the day there’s nothing I can’t do with God by my side…”

“I…will be fine, because God is merciful.”

Just wanted to share a couple of quotes from the unwed mother of one who just announced her second out-of-wedlock pregnancy, Bristol Palin.

I know that the vast majority of AF folk aren’t the religious type. But I am, and it annoys the crap out of me when I hear somebody proclaim their love of God and all things holy, while fully admitting that they just f–ked up.

I have no problem with religious people. And I have no problem with people who f–k up. (I’ve been a f–k up most of my life.) But I hate it when people do it simultaneously with no sense of guilt, remorse, or even have the foggiest idea that the two ideas should be somewhat incompatible.

I’m sure this thread will probably fall of deaf ears, except to those who mock it. (Well, maybe BS will have an opinion on it.) Just wanted to get it out, though.

Yeah, I see what you’re saying. I came from a religious background and am slowly getting back into it, and obviously have never f*cked up. But you know for me I don’t follow a lot of famous personalities and don’t vote. I also do actually play things fast and loose and mess up a lot. To me it’s not something I’m really bothered by or worry about, but I do see how it doesn’t really make sense to pull God into it. No reason you can’t get him involved on your own time.

#Bastard? #orLovechild?

#HowDoYouMakeTheCall?

Christian religion is all about external locus of control, dood

Switch to an internal locus religion

I read Palin saying those things and thought “it’s just a religious person’s way of saying ‘I’m trying to be optimistic while I muddle through.’” I’m not even sure Bristol really believes it, but it’s just part of what she’s expected to say at a moment like this, assuming that she isn’t taking the “I really screwed up, and now I’ve come to the media to expose myself to more of your criticism and ridicule” approach to things.

I’m not particularly religious, but - for example - there are definitely times when I feel that invoking God in conversation helps communicate certain things. For example, as someone who feels that God either does not exist or (if God does exist) probably isn’t involved in the day-to-day miniutia of people’s lives," I don’t say “God bless you” all that often, but there are occasions where it just communicates the right sentiment, even if I am not expecting anything metaphysical to happen.

But yeah, I read Bristol Palin’s stuff about “God is merciful and will provide” as just a religious person’s way of saying “I’m muddling through, have no idea how it’s going to work out, and trying to stay optimistic.”

I think there are many that default to God to soften their mistakes and make themselves feel better about it.

Oops, I paralyzed someone with my car, it’s ok, God forgives me.

Oops, I’m a total ahole of a person, it’s ok, I believe in God and go to Church.

Oops, I had a illegitimate kid, it’s ok God will bless the child.

He who is without sin among you, let him be the first to throw a stone at her.

John 8:7

It’s kind of weird to me that God is ok with you boning, but does not want you to wear a balloon on your dick during the process.

What she is really saying is “Fuck. Fuuuuuuuucckkk…”.

If you think sin is made up, does that qualify as being able to throw stones?