Should change rules so CFA is noun...

or perhaps create some term that CFA holders can use to refer to themselves…besides CFA holder, which sounds bad to my ear…personally speaking. You have the trademark issue…thus u can’t use CFA as a noun. I vote for “Chartered Analyst”.

He is a Charted Analyst sounds better than he is a CFA Holder. “CFA Holder” is tooo passive and thus sounds so wimpy. Or how about “CFA Analyst”…not any more redundant than Chartered Financial Analyst Charterholder.

I vote we keep ignoring the stupid rule and just call ourselves “CFAs”.

Personally, I’m lobbying for using CFA as an adverb.

how CFAly of you.

I say we just orally represent ourselves as CFAs as most CFAs have done so for decades. DECADES. Come on, we know rules but rules shmules…we’re CFAs and that’s it. Willy

If E.B. White were alive today, he’d be ripping CFA Institute a new one. Using CFA as an adjective when it’s more cogent–let alone proper–to use it as a noun is an insult to the English language. This is not the most prestigious designation on the planet. If you have a PhD, well you call yourself a PhD. Or CFP, CPA, whatever. I think the big wigs at the CFA Institute really have their heads up the asses on this rule. Can you picture having a conversation with an average Joe? Joe: So what does this “CFA” after your name stand for? You: It stands for Chartered Financial Analyst Joe: So is that what you are, a Chartered Financial Analyst? You: Well, to be exact, I’m a Chartered Financial Analyst charterholder? Joe: So you’re not a Chartered Financial Analyst? You: No I didn’t say that… Joe: Well then what are you? You: I’m a CFA charterholder. Joe: So if you’re just a charterholder, then who is the “analyst” in Chartered Financial Analyst? You: …

CFA is the same acronym for a designation out in India. When the CFAI made the CFA Exam/Designation global, a dispute/lawsuit broke out between India’s certificate/designation and the USA’s. Since then, one cannot be a CFA, they must be a CFA Candidate/Chaterholder. This was the loose story I got from the local CFA Society. Wiki had a bit more about this. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Indian_CFA The CFA designation is not affiliated with the Chartered Financial Analyst degree offered by the ICFAI (Institute of Chartered Financial Analysts of India) University of India or its affiliate, the Council of Chartered Financial Analysts. In 1998, CFA Institute’s predecessor organization, AIMR, sued and won a judgment [11] against ICFAI/CCFA. The judgment prohibited ICFAI/CCFA and its members from using the CFA or Chartered Financial Analyst mark in the United States and Canada. In August 2006, an Indian court issued a temporary injunction against the Indian organization as well. [12] The judgments made no assessment of the quality of the Indian program and merely discussed the trademark violation. The Indian Association of Investment Professionals[13] is the only organization in India which is affiliated with the CFA Institute. In September 2007 The Trademark Registry, India removed the right of the Institute to use the CFA title and as a result of this the CFA Charter and Trademark now exclusively belongs to the Indian ICFAI in India. On May 8, 2007, the US District Court for the Eastern District of Virginia vacated a Default Judgment issued against ICFAI that the CFA Institute obtained in October 1998. ICFAI recently moved to reopen the case and to vacate the Default Judgment because the Court lacked jurisdiction over ICFAI at the time the Default Judgment issued. With the default judgement vacated ICFAI informed Indian CFA Charter holders that they could legally use their Charter in the US and Canada. However, on September 4, 2007, the Court reversed its decision to vacate after a motion to reconsider that decision was filed by the CFA institute. [14] [15] In January 2007, the Trademark Registry, UK refused to grant protection to the CFA charter. The word ‘chartered’ is restricted in the United Kingdom due to the association with royal charters. [16]

This is wrong…as far as i know u have always had to say holder…or charterholder. And while i’m at it…the “indian” CFA sucks. they are a bunch of cheaters…just like how the indian government appropriates pharma patents…etc…they should be brought to the WTO on that. losers. If I ever interview an Indian who uses the CFA trademark without informing me that it isn’t the real CFA…I’m not hirering him.

WillyR Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > I say we just orally represent ourselves as CFAs > as most CFAs have done so for decades. DECADES. > Come on, we know rules but rules shmules…we’re > CFAs and that’s it. > > Willy There was an event put together by the Tampa CFA Society back in December and one of the guest speakers was Robert Stovall from Wood Asset Management. This guy’s charter number is somewhere between 100-200, so he’s been around awhile. At the beginning of his speech, I remember him saying “I’m a CFA” in front of the audience.

CFA must be used as an adjective: I’m young, rich and CFA. I’m more CFA than you.

I’ve never heard someone refer to themselves as a CFA Charterholder. It’s always “I am a CFA” or “I have the CFA”.

I’m trying to think of another case where you have adjective adjective noun and overall it means an adjective. For example, big red bus [noun] Doesn’t work really. Sums up the CFAI for me.

We just need some hotshot investor worth like billions whom everyone respects and listens to that is also somehow a charterholder to refer to himself as a CFA, as CFAI wouldn’t snub this likely poster boy, and hence it would be done with. Perhaps an honorary charter for Warren Buffett would do the trick? God knows he wouldn’t put up with being called a charterholder, though I doubt he cares about CFA…

Why follow such a dumb rule? Besides, how the heck were they intending on enforcing this rule anyway?