Should I go for June Exam or wait for December ?

Hi all I was working for 2 years in a financial software company (IT position) and I never take a financial courses I plan to pass the CFAI level 1 but it seems to be a little bit hard to get it in June :frowning: what do you think , should I register or not ?

That depends, but let me tell you onething, I am a MBA in finance from one of the good colleges in India and have been working in finance for quite some time now. I gave the exam in June without preparing as well as i could have but flunked.

I take a look to the program and I will probably go for June Exam I’ll do my best and if I failed at least I’ll use the same books for december :wink: have a question for those who already have the Curriculum books, is this the official session 1 http://www.cfapubs.org/toc/cpb/2008/2008/1 thx

Don’t think about failing, sure it can happen but if you want to go for June go for it, don’t think about December. And there’s plenty of time as long as you put some dedication (hours) as soon as possible. That link is the SS1 only. Once you register you’ll get the books, check the curriculum at http://www.cfainstitute.org/cfaprog/resources/level_i_outline.html

I don’t agree with Antonio, it’s an expensive undertaking and, as you say, you don’t have the support of a degree in business administration / finance to help you. In my opinion December is the safer option here, and after that go for the Level II exam in year t+2 (ie not six months later but 1.5 years later). But it’s your call, naturally.

You have time for June. A lot of us that sat for the December exam would like to take Level 2 in June, and will only have 4 months to prepare. You’re still 5 1/2 months out, which is enough, if you’re willing to put in the time.

You have plenty of time, if you can devote 300-400 hours between now and then!

this depends on how much time on average every week you can put into study. If you think you have lots of spare time, then it’s good to take it in June, which (in case you pass) give you enough time for LII as well. If you are really busy at work or have little spare time, then i’d suggest December. Take a look at the material first.

It’s very doable in June. Just depends on how much time you have on your hands and how quickly you pick up…

If you put in 20-30 hours a week (maybe less if you’re a quick study) or so, then you should have a good shot at passing in June. As long as you can afford to pay the exam fees twice, then there’s really no argument against at least trying it in June. At a minimum, it’ll be a good experience taking the test. If you do fail, then you’ll have the official diagnostic and know exactly where you need to devote more time the next time around. If you pass in June, then you’ll get to spend an extra 6 months stress-free. If you fail, then you get another shot in December. If you wait until December and still fail, though (without taking the test in June), and need to re-take it the following summer, then you’ll have lost an entire year doing L1 over again when you could already be on L2.

How far along are you guys? I went from thinking i was an early bird studying for June 2009 to now all of a sudden people are being told they cant make it in 5 months? Theres practically 20 weeks left @ 30hrs a week you would be putting in close to 600hrs? If i study for 600hrs and dont pass i am giving up and teaching 4th grade public school.

i probly studied about 400 hrs for lvl 1 dec 08. if i had the time again id study more efficiently - ie rather than rushing through the material, id focus on my weak areas at the time. i made the mistake of rushing to the next topic (Study session) while still having some weak areas as i went along. oh and id read the CFAi texts for ethics properly -there was alot of questions in the exam that schweser didnt cover… good luck

djjk1 Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > i probly studied about 400 hrs for lvl 1 dec 08. > if i had the time again id study more efficiently > - ie rather than rushing through the material, id > focus on my weak areas at the time. i made the > mistake of rushing to the next topic (Study > session) while still having some weak areas as i > went along. oh and id read the CFAi texts for > ethics properly -there was alot of questions in > the exam that schweser didnt cover… > > good luck This is interesting, i think i am doing the same thing. I go through the lessons but honestly move on before i probably should. I know i should keep working till i completely understand each topic, but theres always that voice in your head telling you…“you need to keep moving along.”

Take it in June. 5 months is adequate time to prepare for the exam.

like someone already said ebfore, 5 months should be enough. i was reading a comment someone made on another thread about marginal returns on your studying… speaking for myself, i don’t think putting in 600 hours would make a difference compared with putting in 500. also, keep in mind that if u start studying now, u may have forgotten some of the material by december. i would suggest if its something u really want to do, just buckle down and have a go at the june one.