should I leave a NYC address in my resume?

For entry level job, I would say put NYC address, I was having the same issues when looking for a job in Toronto, while living 4 hours away. I wouldn’t get any calls for entry level positions unless someone would recommend me to HR, and a lot of times at those interview people frowned at my address, and would always ask me when I’ll be able to start and how long it is going to take me to move. So I think that if it is an entry-level job, with 1000s of people applying they won’t wait for someone to come from 5 hours away, since for entry level most candidates are pretty much the same, so they’d rather go with local imho.

a lot of people don’t like hiring out of city applicants because they have a tendency to leave more often.

The people who put the stuff about background checks and credit checks are nuts. You could be subletting an apartment, living with relatives, and having mail forwarded from an old address, etc. When I was in college my permanent address was here in NYC, not my college address, since my school address changed almost every year. This is not the issue, especially if it is the address that you likely will live at, if even briefly when you first come to NYC. When you get a call in the afternoon that asks you to come by for an interview at 8am the next morning, that’s the issue. And if you say that you live in NYC don’t even think about asking for help with relocation expenses.

Is it possible for the background agencies to verify comp (i.e., salary)?

They can ask your references. Other than that, income tax stubs. But they can’t find out on their own ==> they will ask you or references. ryguy904 Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > Is it possible for the background agencies to > verify comp (i.e., salary)?

Super I Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > > When you get a call in the afternoon that asks > you to come by for an interview at 8am the next > morning, that’s the issue. > EXACTLY- that’s why I’ve been hesitant to start using the NY address.

Why can’t you just get an NYC address from Mail Boxes Etc. and make that your official address and have all your CCs, insurance, etc. changed to that address? When I was living else where for school, that’s what I did. Then you wouldn’t be lying because NYC is your official address.

Hey, I have just signed onto this post… I think that the original poster should not leave a NYC address and be honest. In their cover letter should state that they are looking forward to relocate to NYC (or even a timeframe that they should relocate). I am currently in MD and have been getting interviews with a couple of firms from NYC. Lying on an address only complicates things because if they expect you to be local then the company personnel could potentially invite you to things that are local (i.e. interviews, socials, etc.). Plus if for some reason they find out it could raise concern about your ethical nature.