should I leave a NYC address in my resume?

I am just going to apply for the entry-level positions in some Investment Companies in NYC, but I don’t live in NYC, Is it an advantage that I leave a NYC address in my resume? ( I will be considered as a local candidate)

No because when they do a background check and find out you’ve been living at another address and lied on your resume you’ll be screwed.

when they do background, I will provide my correct address in my background check form.

Unless you say you just moved to NYC, in your cover letter, BOMC makes sense. The background checks financial companies pay for find out everything…credit, criminal, speeding tickets, etc. The only way I see this work is if you live within 5 or so hours of NYC. Tough spot though.

Background Checking firms have the same info as the credit agencies and that’s from your bills. I have had my bills (old credit cards, utility) still arrive at my former address (say in State X) while I have moved to State Y. For me it was due to family still staying at the older place.

I am just wondering if it is advantage to apply for the jobs as local candidate? i don’t care background check, I don’t have credit card.

It won’t help and, as I assume you’re still in school, won’t make any sense in context…

It won’t help and, as I assume you’re still in school, won’t make any sense in context…

firms won’t care where your local address is…seriously…take a step back and really think through this question and what a hiring firm looks for; if you think they care about your adress…well…all else equal they still won’t cuz nothing is ever all else equal. Fit trumps where you live way before they would even consider where you live. on the list of what they care about in roughly this order: experience education fit transferable skills … … … … … current adress?

What you should do is spend more time thinking about how much you’re overthinking this. THAT will be the key to success.

Cadgret, I understand your dilemna. I see how the majority of posters don’t think this is a big issue but I think it is. I currently live in PA and want to work in NY. I plan on moving there and have some family that I could live with temporarily until I find housing but I don’t plan on doing that- I plan on finding my own apt first. I’ve thought about putting my family’s address on my resume/apps when applying. A lot of companies when hiring, specifically for entry level (easier to find a qualified candidate) jobs they don’t want to waste the time of hiring someone out of the local NYC metro area b/c they’ll have to wait for the person to move and other potential complications. There are even job postings that say “local candidates only.” With that being said, I’ve still been using my PA address but am contemplating using the NY.

question for s#!+$ and giggles… anyone want to argue if this is a violation of the code and standards?

If I were a hiring manager and found out someone did this, I wouldn’t be too mad that they lied. I would, however, realize they were a neurotic overthinker who would be paralyzed from ever making important decisions, and that would probably alter my hiring decision.

HoldSideAnalyst Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > If I were a hiring manager and found out someone > did this, I wouldn’t be too mad that they lied. I > would, however, realize they were a neurotic > overthinker who would be paralyzed from ever > making important decisions, and that would > probably alter my hiring decision. I think making up an address out of the blue is lying. I don’t think using a person’s address that you KNOW you could live with if offered the job is lying. Also, if you were a NYC hiring manager you would be more than likely to hire the “good” candidate that lives in Manhattan than even initiate the interview/hiring process with the “great” candidate that lives in Dallas. Moral of the story- If a position needs to be filled, no one has time to be BS around and wait for you to book flights/train to come interview when they just hire the decent dude that lives down the street.

HoldSideAnalyst Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- a neurotic overthinker who would be paralyzed from ever making important decisions, and that would probably alter my hiring decision. Also, I would call them a strategic thinker who wouldn’t make a good trader but would make one hell of an analyst or BS lying Wall Street Exec!

TPain88 Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > HoldSideAnalyst Wrote: > -------------------------------------------------- > ----- > a neurotic overthinker who would be paralyzed from > ever making important decisions, and that would > probably alter my hiring decision. > > Also, I would call them a strategic thinker who > wouldn’t make a good trader but would make one > hell of an analyst or BS lying Wall Street Exec! If you get caught you’re not a good strategic thinker…

ahahah Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > TPain88 Wrote: > -------------------------------------------------- > > If you get caught you’re not a good strategic > thinker… *sighs* I wouldn’t be in trouble b/c I wouldn’t be lying. The original poster would.

If you do end up using a NYC address, make sure it is a legitamate address. Or even better, use an address on Park Avenue. The recruiters will think you’re special.

Buy a box at the UPS store. You can set one up from a distance by faxing in your driver’s license. You can get a real street address and prevent your resume from an immediate toss. Location is a real factor. Also, you can get a NYC phone number through Vonage. These will help get you the interview. However, don’t lie about where you actually live.

think about it, you want a job in NY and are applying from Dallas - you have an average Joe skillset, the market is weak and there are 1000 local candidates in NY. what are your chances of being called. this is exactly what happened to me - I gave a potential residential address in NY and told the recruiters that I would move in there, if selected, and would pay for interview expenses. I started getting calls *because* i was considered a local candidate. that is the market idiosyncrasy to be lived with; not to be mixed up with ethical issues.