should I still go if I know I'm going to FAIL?

Due to a variety of person reasons I’ve put in around 75 hours studying for this exam in total. I haven’t taken a full practice exam yet but I’ve been doing some practice problems and am getting only half of them right. At this point I know I will fail… I’m determined to get the CFA and will go retake Level 1 in December. Should I still go to the testing site in June just to figure out what the conditions are like? If I know I’m going to fail, can I leave after lunch or do I have to go back to take the afternoon exam? Also does anyone know how much is it to re-register for the December Level 1 exam? Thanks guys.

you already paid, take it as long as not too much of a pain the ass. imagine you can leave whenever you want, they just won’t score the test if you don’t complete. if this is something you ultimately want to achieve taking test next weekend can only be beneficail in long run.

I say go for 2 reasons: 1) The experience alone is worth it. You’ll know what to expect next time. 2) Your poor grade will help those of us who may be borderline. If you don’t show, your exam won’t count. So help a brother out!

Definitely go! Experience never hurt anyone. It is only one Saturday out of your life and you will know what to expect going into December. I agree with Dusty as well, it will also help all of us out! :slight_smile: I am not sure, but reading some of the posts on here, I get the feeling that if you do not pass, you get a freebie from the CFAI the next time. So I think you get to take the Dec one for free. Although I am definitely not sure on this at all. That is just the feeling I have gotten from some people talking on here. But hey, you already paid, take the test and you at least get experience out of the grand you dropped! Good luck in December as well!

June 2008 - Band 1 (Went in only finish studying Economics) Dec 2008 - Band 7 ( Completed only 1 exam paper;apart from CFAI sample) June 2009 - ? (Still Half cooked…) In any case, i knew i was going to fail and still went for 1st attempt. I hope the experience pays off this time round…

I’d say go and attempt BOTH sections. Why? You will get to see their questions and know exactly what to expect next time. Are the questions in line with their mocks? Are they similar to their end of chapter questions? Is CFA readings helpful or was it ok to use rather other materials? How does it feel sitting for a six-hour exam? (all these questions are lingering on my mind actually hehe). Dude, you have paid already. You have nothing to lose but a lot to gain by going. From CFA mocks, I found their question design somewhat different than those from schweser or stalla. In CFA mocks, I found simple questions that I just didnt know how to answer because never thought of those concepts in a way they tested.

skylancer Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > June 2008 - Band 1 (Went in only finish studying > Economics) > Dec 2008 - Band 7 ( Completed only 1 exam > paper;apart from CFAI sample) > Band 1??

DustyBallz Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > 2) Your poor grade will help those of us who may > be borderline. If you don’t show, your exam won’t > count. So help a brother out! Hear hear!

ozzie123 Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > DustyBallz Wrote: > -------------------------------------------------- > ----- > > 2) Your poor grade will help those of us who > may > > be borderline. If you don’t show, your exam > won’t > > count. So help a brother out! > > Hear hear! I don’t think someone with a poor grade will help. Passing score is determined by the top grades.

Band 1. For Real. I went in with only Economics in my head, and a bad breakfast. Ended up in the toilet most of the time during the exam. It was an egg sandwich…bad egg… 2nd Time Band 7 - Did finish reading the stuff, but din have enough time to do the papers. Was having a bad flu on the last week before the exam. 3rd Time - (Hopeful pass. I am studying till my head is falling off…)

skylancer Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > Band 1. For Real. I went in with only Economics in > my head, and a bad breakfast. Ended up in the > toilet most of the time during the exam. It was an > egg sandwich…bad egg… > > 2nd Time Band 7 - Did finish reading the stuff, > but din have enough time to do the papers. Was > having a bad flu on the last week before the > exam. > > 3rd Time - (Hopeful pass. I am studying till my > head is falling off…) skylancer it is quite the CFA journey you have undertaken. Well if your progress from 1st to 7th band is anything to go by and experienced gained, you are in with a good chance this time round. do you think the majority of the people on this forum is under or over estimating the exam?

DustyBallz Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > I say go for 2 reasons: > > 1) The experience alone is worth it. You’ll know > what to expect next time. > 2) Your poor grade will help those of us who may > be borderline. If you don’t show, your exam won’t > count. So help a brother out! totally agree with it

Go for sure.

GO!!!

Yes, I think you should go, but you will set the agenda somewhat differently: you’ll aim to solve those problems that you recognize and know you can solve and you will (beforehand) decide on what strategy you’ll use for the rest of the problems. (The strategy on how to which answer to pick if you have absolutely no idea which one is the right one). You can probably leave after lunch but if you’re there you might as well sit it through. It could be your lucky day.