Should I take L3 with new job?

Fellow Overachievers, Waned to get some advice. I have begun studying for L3 and am 2 books in. After years of toiling and CFA studying (passed 1 and 2 on the first go), I finally landed a job on the buyside. The job starts in 2 weeks and I want to give the job 100% of my focus. If I can’t get a CFA license anyway (only have 2.5 years of work experience), would it not be a big deal to wait until next year to take it? I think its the right decision for my peace of mind, but I am letting myself down a bit and will have it hanging over my head for another year. Thoughts welcome.

I think that “finally landing a job on the buyside” commands that you do give that job 100% of your focus. If you can do both, go ahead. But I think it is impossible. Finally landing a buyside job >>>>>>>>>> cfa designation.

I think trying to impress your boss the next two months is more useful than passing L3 a year earlier. You don’t have enough experience to get the charter even if you pass anyway. Just start early for the June 2011 exam.

You should still study, but give the job priority. Move quickly through the material and take the exam, who knows, you may get lucky and pass.

I disagree with some of the posts here. I suspect that your buy-side shop places a high level of emphasis on CFA, and as such would want you to be able to “show your worth” by continuing with the program this year. I started at a new firm in January 2009, having passed only Level 1 and contemplating giving up the program for good. However, my new company placed a high emphasis on the Charter, and by signing up for and passing Level 2 that summer, it gave me a level of credibility and helped the company confirm that they had hired someone who had the intelligence to continue on in the program. It’s certainly possible to do a good job and pass the exam at the same time.

electricn Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > If I can’t get a CFA license anyway > (only have 2.5 years of work experience), would it > not be a big deal to wait until next year to take > it? I just want to nit-pick at “CFA license”

I was going to give him a very serious advice until I read the ‘license’ thingy he mentioned and said screw it! Anyways - baseline always stays the same - keep CFA as your LAST priority in life.

thx for the perspective…and excuse my syntax. EDIT** “If I cannot become a CFA charterholder this year anyway” Looks like L3 will have to wait. Good luck to all studying.