Should I Throw in the Towel?

I’ve been scoring on average approximately 57% on both the Schweser and CFAI mock exams. I realize this is terrible at this point in the game (and my fault as I waited til the last week to start doing mock exams), so I’m wondering if it’s worth it to keep on studying tonight knowing the likelihood of passing tomorrow with this average is pretty slim to none?

Just memorize whatever formulae you can and have at least 2hrs sleep, adrenaline will get you through most of it. Definitely turn up though, a) it will be a learning experience and b) you may pass, they can on test you on 240 concepts from 3300 pages, you may just get lucky!!

pokerface: I am not doing much better. This is my first go of it and I studied a lot, but I do not think I studied correctly. I agree with rtcol. Go, take it, experience it, give it your best shot, you may pass, and if you dont you will be better prepared for December. Almost no one passes it in 3 consecutive trys.

3 years ago I was in your position. I was getting 55-58% on all 6 practice exams that I took and I took the real thing anyways for the experience. I thought there was a tiny chance I could get lucky and pass and…I didn’t. But, I did get band 9, which was close to passing had certain things gone my way. I was discouraged afterwards and thought I wouldn’t pursue the CFA any longer but all of that changed 6 months ago when I decided to go for it again. This time around I studied more seriously and have been averaging about a 73% on the 7 exams I’ve taken.

Anyways, it was worth it for me to take the real thing and I think you should too. You could get lucky.

It’s hard to gamble on these things.

Generally you want to feel somewhat ready. Because even the person who has prepped the most is going to miss something

I know how you feel. I am contemplating not showing up tomorrow. Not being totally prepared the night before this exam that cost me some serious $ to sign up for sickens me a bit. I underetimated how long it would take me to prepare and I usually am able to pull off any academic/test, but I couldn’t do it this time.

deleted double post

When I passed L1 in June 2010, I never scored higher than 60 on mock/practice exam and I passed. FWIW.

Might sound cliche, but you miss 100% of the shots you don’t take.

There’s no shame in failing this exam; ignore what other people perceive and focus on the benefit it would provide for yourself to experience this exam. I’d go if I was in your position.

I was in the same boat. I was only scoring around 55% on the practice exams. I sat for the exam anyways; mostly because I wanted to see which band I fell in. If I’m in 8-10 then great, I’ll try again in December. If I’m in a lower band then I might just reconsider my career plans and accept that finance isn’t for me.

I was in the same boat. I was only scoring around 55% on the practice exams. I sat for the exam anyways; mostly because I wanted to see which band I fell in. If I’m in 8-10 then great, I’ll try again in December. If I’m in a lower band then I might just reconsider my career plans and accept that finance isn’t for me.